Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:19 PM   #11
MamaMegan
Banned
seller

Re: I'm desperate for night time help!

My daughter's on my lap right now but I would definitely suggest looking into reflux.

sdfsadf11

My daughter is a spit up refluxer, but my son had silent reflux amongst other problems (that were related)-- took us a year to figure it out-- but they both fought/fight being placed on their backs, and for my daughter (whose reflux is much worse) she is miserable in the evenings.

I'll try to PM you if she lets me take a break.ssdf

Advertisement

MamaMegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

again, I really really suggest the gas drops and the side to side swing! seriously, those swings are life savers, and so are the gas drops! also--consier the mylanta. it's worth a shot.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #13
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A way to check for silent reflux, smell the breath. Baby's breath normally smells sweet. A baby who has reflux has poop-like smelling breath. (many do anyway). I also have a high-needs baby (toddler now). The gas drops were wonderful. I don't know if they helped him feel better or if it was just that he liked the taste so much! Also, could she be teething? If so, you might want to try the hylands teething tabs. They may soothe her even if she isn't truly teething. Also, DS only wanted to be held upright, very tightly. We would rock in this position. Either that or he would nurse all night long (this was extremely trying). I also second trying the mylanta. Dosing info from http://www.cryingoverspiltmilk.co.nz...ithDosages.htm follows:

ACID REDUCING MEDICATIONS

Mylanta Original (Trade Name)
Use: Antacid with antiflatulent

Mylanta is a liquid antacid, which works by neutralising acid in the stomach so that reflux burns less. It can provide quick relief, and therefore many parents find it useful when a baby is suffering from reflux pain. It will not decrease spilling or vomiting.

Mylanta is not suitable for long-term treatment of reflux, and has a high aluminium load. It does not reduce stomach acid quantities enough to be the complete treatment for babies with significant reflux symptoms (intense discomfort, very poor sleeping or feeding patterns, respiratory symptoms such as cough or wheeze etc.) If Mylanta is required on a daily basis please seek further medical advice.

Dosage and administration:

Babies less than 3 months 2 - 4mls

Babies over 3 months 5 - 7mls

Each dose to be given no less than 4 hours apart.

Other medication should not be taken within two hours of Mylanta.

Side effects: May include diarrhoea.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Our swing does go side to side, but she is really to big for it. Mylicon never did anything for her. I'll try the mylanta. She is teething and we use the humphrys tablets. DD is allergic to milk so we cannot use the hylands brand.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #15
sunshinebabies3
Registered Users
seller

HMMMM....puzzling. maybe the mylanta will do the trick. Im sorry mama. I know that must be incredibly frustrating. does she get play time during the day? have you tried baby einstein videos? mine babies lvoe them. they are very soothing and educational.

also--our little guy who had the nonreurgitive rteflux always smelled acidic. he sometimes got little red dots (almost burns) on the side of his mouth and sometimes on his bum from acidy poop. g/l
Old 09-11-2006, 04:27 PM   #16
amhmtq
Registered Users

My twins are the same age as your daughter and it seems like we *just* got past a bout of that. Looking back (because it's hard to see anything when you're right in those awful moments in the middle of the night), I think my son was teething (he has 4 teeth now!) and I think my daughter had a yeast infection that was brewing and we didn't know it until it became more external. We treated that, his teeth came through, and suddenly bedtimes are normal again. So, anyway, my point is, they were both acting like that when they were in pain or uncomfortable. My daughter does the foot-rubbing thing and my son does the screaming, clawing, scratching thing. Heh, when they're both up at once it makes for a LONG night.

Also, short term solution...have you tried the car? I didn't see that on your list. We've done that occasionally to get them (or my oldest, even now sometimes) to sleep and then we try a really careful transfer once we get home.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #17
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

She plays most of the day. She does want someone to play with her and be paying attention to her most of the time, but she is normally playing and happy, unless she is frustrated. Her breath smell like milk and always has. Hopefully it is a phase that has to pass soon.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
AngelMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9800Emily
Our swing does go side to side, but she is really to big for it. Mylicon never did anything for her. I'll try the mylanta. She is teething and we use the humphrys tablets. DD is allergic to milk so we cannot use the hylands brand.
Where do you find humphrys? I've not seen them. DS is also allergic to milk, but we didnt' know until we had been using hylands for several months. It would be good to know for the next DC. TIA!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #19
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

I found them at walgreens and a local health food store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelMommy
Where do you find humphrys? I've not seen them. DS is also allergic to milk, but we didnt' know until we had been using hylands for several months. It would be good to know for the next DC. TIA!!
Old 09-11-2006, 07:20 PM   #20
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

The car isn't on the list, because once she figured out that riding in the car help her fall asleep, she freaked. Now each car ride is guaranteed to have yelling as the music. We don't get out much anymore.