Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Wishing4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
help with measuring for a bra...

I'm trying to measure myself for a nursing bra but different sites say different things. Measuring under my breast I'm 32 1/2" and around my breast I'm 37". One says measure under the breast, add 3, (round up to an even number if need be) then subtract from measurement around the breast. So, I'd be a 36A. Lady at Motherhood maternity measured and said 36B (measured over my current bra and shirt of which the bra was slightly padded). Another sight just says measure under breast, round up or down to nearest even number, and subtract from around the breast. So then I'd be a 32DD. ????

Why does it have to be so hard to find a bra?

I did buy a size 2 Yes! bra and it fits well. Maybe I'll just order another one of those........

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #2
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: help with measuring for a bra...

I could never buy a bra w/o trying it on. If you have one that fits and you're happy with it, I'd get more of those and when your little bitty is ready to go out on an errand with Mommy you could try on a few kids of new bras to make sure you're getting one that fits well. You won't really know for sure what size will be comfy until you lose a little baby bloat anyhow, I would think. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
litlepick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say you are a 36 a or b and you would wear your bra on the loosest hook
... but it depends on the manufacturer of the bra as to how you measure for them most use the first method you stated add x to rib measure to find your band size and subtract your bust to guestimate the cup size
however norvell bras, for instance, run on totally different sizing and don't fit into the regular sizing charts

you also have to take into account sister sizing, which is when cup size gets confusing... for instance a 36b cup is the same size as a 38a or a 34c (they all have the same size underwire) but the band size differs

start with finding your correct band size and trying a on few until you figure which cup size works best (most of us are in between cups or are bigger on one side)

good luck
Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
fuzzycakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you're wanting to order online, I'd follow the manufacterers directions for how to measure, and make sure they have a good return policy.

www.breakoutbras.com has a good return policy. then, you can order several sizes, find out which fits you best, and return the rest. I think you initially pay to send them back, but then the refund your cc.

I just got 2 of the original bravado nursing bras to finish out pg with and for the first couple months of nursing. I believe they're similar to the YES bras. Sports bra style, with the sleep bra look in front, but with the cups that unclip. I like them because they fit several band and cup sizes, so I didn't need to worry too much about sizing.

Once my milk is established and my bb's are done freaking out, I'll re-measure and buy some prettier bras.
fuzzycakes is offline   Reply With Quote