Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
MomSmoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
York PA mommies

Well, it is official. I accepted an offer to work for a firm in PA and I will be returning to my old home town. I can't believe it -- I haven't lived in PA for 12 years.

Anyways, can I get some recommendations on a birth friendly midwife practice as well as a very crunchy pediatrician. Our current pedi is great about delaying vaxes, cloth diapering, alternative medicines, etc and I really don't want to deal with someone who thinks they know my kids better then I do.

Thanks.

**if it helps, we will be living in the Dallastown, York Suburban or Central school district**

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: York PA mommies

Hey, we just moved to York last month! (And we finally had our internet connected...) I don't really have any suggestions for you, though I'd love to find a good midwife practice, or even an OB with a CNM on staff. Someone did suggest a birth center out in Lancaster Co. somewhere but it seemed a little far. As for peds, ours is kind of middle of the road. One practice we tried (and really liked) doesn't participate in my insurance, but one of the docs is a lactation consultant - very pro-BF, at least. Someone on here actually recommended them, I think the practice is called Pediatric Health Assoc. of York.

Anyhow, good luck with your move. We came here from Northern VA and I can't believe how much I like it here. Nice to meet you!

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
lcsmama
Registered Users
seller

hey!

york'll be glad to have ya back i'm sure... its always nice to have other health-conscious mama's to rock the boat around here... good luck w/finding a good pediatrician around here... don't go to york pediatric medicine... they attack you alive about anything natural... i honestly don't know anywhere in the area that doesn't (i've been looking for awhile)... as far as a birthfriendly OB practice... White Rose has a CNM on staff, Felicia Rohrbaugh, who is absolutely fantastic from what I hear... She was recommended to me by the BEST adult & pediatric chiropractor in all of York- Selina at Sigafoose&Jackson in East York... However, if you truly want a natural birth, I would recommend checking out doing a home birth... Mary McLane is the CNM that I used... she [U]does[U] accept insurance and has a back-up CPM that attends the birth as well and she is wise about transferring... I know a lot of folks that have used her and had great results... PM me if you'd ever like to get her info... any info you need about the local area here just contact me... i'm a doula so i'm a little bit up on the local resources...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #4
MomSmoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh brother -- they are THAT unmedicated birth friendly? Wonderful.

Maybe I will check out Hopkins. I heard they converted a bunch of row houses across the street from the main hospital into birthing cottages. Maybe I could find an MW just over the line with privileges there.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
schmerna
Registered Users
seller

For a Ped, I used Springdale Pediatrics. I would say they are neutral about cloth diapering and encouraging about breastfeeding. I don't know about delayed vaccinations or alternative medicines.

For OB, there is a practice in York on Queen at Tri Hill that has a few mid wives on staff. I forget the name of it though.
schmerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
misstinytoes
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hi I live in York and I had a fantastic experience at York Hospital. I used to live in Maryland and had a horrible experience at Franklin Square Hospital in Baltimore. York Hospital was amazing. I had an amazing CNM, Sue Martin. York Hospital also has Certified Lactation consultants on staff 24 hrs a day 365 days a year, not just one, but like 10 of them. Before the birth I expressed interest in having an LC come and check in on us later and I literally had one beating down my door every few hours to check in on us. Their services are also free after you go home too. They have an entire lactation center there that is awesome and we went back several times before we got things down pat. I've heard at other area hospitals they only have one LC and that they are not always available. I def highly reccomend them.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
poohbearpt
Registered Users

My Mood:

we live in lancaster...I know some friends who used hte birth center here and really had a great experience. Our Peds here have been great about CDing, BF...keep looking around I am sure you'll find something!
poohbearpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Mommyofmyboys
Registered Users

My Mood:

I delievered both of my boys at York Hospital and they are GREAT about bf'ing. CNM's also delievered both of my boys' there. I go to Women's Healthcare Group on Queen St. that is were Felicia Rorpaugh is, she actually is the one that delievered my oldest. I <3 her.

As for ped's, not sure about delaying vax but I really like Pediatric Care of York. They have also been great about bfing, they've seen my cd's but have never said anything about them. They have an office off of Leader Heights and one in Shrewsbury.
Mommyofmyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
climbermom
Registered Users

I used to live in York and we used Pediatric Health Associates. They are fine with selective/delayed vax, and supportive of breastfeeding. I think neutral about CD, but I never had a problem with them.
climbermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #10
CHLOBE
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to live in York (well, Dover) and I went to York Women's Health Center on Queen Street. Sue Martin delivered all my babies and I'm kind of contemplating trying to just happen to be back in town when I go into labor with this one (we're in Delaware now). But, I know that's unlikely as we have no plans to travel back to PA after Labor Day weekend.

We went to York Pediatric Medicine and I've never had a problem with them. They never gave me grief about cloth diapers or breastfeeding. I actually got a lot of positive comments about the diapers, more so from the nurses than the doctors. The doctors would comment that they were nothing like they remembered or heard of, but none ever said a negative word to me about them. I am not a delayed vax-er, so I don't know what they're feelings are on that.

I miss Dr. Ambrose so badly. The pediatric practice we go to in Delaware pales in comparison, IMO, to York Pediatric Medicine in so many ways.
CHLOBE is offline   Reply With Quote