Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with taking a bottle

My DS is one month older than yours and is the same way. I have the Playtex Ventaire bottles and have tried all three nipples they offer. I can't afford to buy anymore, so I'm just going to keep trying the latex ones with him. He has stopped screaming his head off when we offer it, but I think he just chews on it because no milk disappears. DH had him one morning and that's what he did. DH said "he drank pretty well" but when I looked nothing had changed, still had 2 oz. in it He drank about one oz. weeks ago for MIL, so I will have her try again. I don't know if he will drink it once he gets really hungry, but sometime we are going to have to try. My parents and in-laws are the only ones with the patience, not DH. I want to be able to go on a short trip with DH in 2 months, so I was hoping DS would take the bottle, but we might have to change that plan if he refuses. Lots of babies decide not to take the bottle at all, but it doesn't hurt to try. I'll try sippy cups earlier than usual if he won't ever take a bottle.

Advertisement

I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #12
megss4015@msn.com
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have this problem too with my daughter. She wouldn't take a bottle at all. I tried other people, waiting until she was really hungry. Nothing worked. I found a MAM sippy cup and she loves that. It's a softer plastic and it has handles that the baby can hold onto, even if they are too young to hold it up to their mouths. She will drink juice from it, but it's a NO GO for breast milk.
megss4015@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
elemonj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No trick to tell you but a nurse told me that it is good to give them a bottle( of breast milk) a couple time a week so that they learn how to use one and do not forget. So once you get it figured out keep it up once in a while.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #14
litlepick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

have you thought about cup feeding instead? not a sippy, a real cup like they use in the hospital?
we did it with dd, we used a cup that was a medicine measure (those caps that come on cough syrup, but we got it from the hospital with our discharge package) you just sit baby on your knee, and put the edge of the cup to there bottom lip. the baby kind of slurps at it. it works best if the cup is full to the top (you don't want to pour it into there mouth your just making it available)
we switched to a breastbottle nurser when she was about 4 months old and taking around 2 oz each feeding (it was faster for grandma who was the only person who fed her except me LOL) but when we did this I will say she also became fussy at feedings if letdown wasn't fast enough. she got a bit too lazy for my taste and I pretty much demanded no more bottles until we got it worked out (so hubby and I didn't have our one dinner a week out without baby, but it was worth it) after we worked it out we switched to breastflo bottles, which require suction and compression for the baby to get milk and that worked for her one bottle a week with grandma (until I found out grandma was using it to give her juice and up to 10oz of breast milk in one feeding, but thats another story LOL)
Old 04-17-2008, 02:49 AM   #15
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read the other threads so sorry if any or all of this is a repetition, but these are the things that help us a lot.

1)warm up the bottle nipple itself

2)try the breast bottle

3)try getting your lo to take a paci first by dipping the paci in sugar water (I really hated doing this, but it does work)

4)make sure your lo is really really hungry

5) don't give him the bottle yourself, have your partner do it, and leave the room

6) don't hold your lo in a lying position that reminds him of bfing

7) any combo of the above mentioned

best of luck, it was really really hard for us, but we did it eventually.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #16
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh and try latex nipples, they seemed to work the best for us.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #17
yagow2001
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And make sure the milk is body temperature like it would be coming out of the breast
I've been paid to complete online surveys at http://OpinionOutpost.com/join/6696974
yagow2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #18
sapphire6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagow2001 View Post
And make sure the milk is body temperature like it would be coming out of the breast
When I needed to switch my los to the bottle, they refused to even let it in their mouth unless the milk was warm.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
missykay
Registered Users

My Mood:

We use the Playtex drop ins with the natural latch slow flow nipples and DS caught on pretty quickly. We also practice PACE feeding. I went to a Breastfeeding class at the hospital and the lac. con described it to us. it was designed by Speech Language Pathologists who work with premies and babies with an underdeveloped sucking reflex. You sit the baby almost straight up on your knees or with their back against your bicep (like giving a side hug) and hold the bottle PARALLEL to the floor. The nipple won't fill totally with milk but this doesn't mean that the baby is sucking in a lot of air. If the bottle starts to whistle then tip it up a little at a time until the noise stops. If you hold the baby upright and the bottle parallel to the floor then the baby has to suck to get the milk to come out-just like at the breast. Most people tip the baby down and the bottle up so the milk just sort of pours down their throat. Maybe your lo doesn't like that feeling. Hopefully this will help you. If not, maybe call another LC at a hospital close to you. they might have a suggestion.
Forever missing Yuen Tien (12-9-11)
The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalm 126:3
missykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #20
csully4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have tried some of these things. It seems like if anything tougher than my nipple gets near his mouth he refuses to have anything to do with it. I have only tried to get him to take one in the evening so maybe if I have my dh give him one during the day it might work better. Thanks for all the advice it sure does help.I might try a different bottle type or nipple too. Thanks ladies.