Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Lyv Naturally
Lyv Naturally~Wool Dryer Balls&more
Formerly: nailpointpayment
My Mood:
microfleece or velour for inner?

I am not familiar with how microfleece absorbs and all that so I turn to you for help. If you have a preference, is there a reason?

Wool Dryer Balls, Swiffer mop covers, and so much more
~*~Check it out~*~LyvNaturally
Special Co-Op pricing available!
Lyv Naturally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: microfleece or velour for inner?

Microfleece doesn't absorb, it wicks the moisture away to the absorbent material below it. This creates a 'feel-dry' sensation and helps prevent rash. Some people don't like it because it feels warm or they like only natural fabrics or their child is sensitive to polyester.

Velour feels "dryer" than say flannel or a prefold, but still has a wet feel. But it's a natural fabric if it's cotton or bamboo. I think you can get polyester velour too, which would behave like the microfleece.

Fleece is pretty easy to clean, doesn't stain readily.
Dawn, SAHM, wife to James, Mom to 4 girls, 2 boys and another boy on the way!
Dawnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
My Mood:
Re: microfleece or velour for inner?

We don't do microfleece or poly inners because DS is sensitive to suedecloth and with poly stay-dry inners you have to be a lot more concerned about detergent build-up affecting the ability of moisture to pass through. In other words, if poly gets detergent buildup, the moisture will roll off the surface (read: out of the leg holes and onto clothes) instead of passing through to the absorbent layers underneath. The only diapers we use poly inners on is our nighttime fitteds, which have athletic wicking fabric.

For all our daytime/naptime fitteds, we use natural velour inners like cotton velour and bamboo velour. They aren't truly stay-dry, but they don't chafe the skin like, say, a cotton prefold when wet. We have used natural inners only for, I think maybe, a year or so, and we have had no instances of rash in that time. Whereas we did have some instances of buildup rashes with poly inners before. It doesn't really seem to bother DS when he's wet, to be quite honest. And, if anything, I think it might help him down the road to PLing to not have those stay-dry inners.

ETA: I also don't like poly inners as much because I tend to get hot and sweaty even in thin polyester clothing, so it just seems like polyester fleece would be uber hot, especially during summer months.
wife to my hunk
SAHM to Little Man and My Princess
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here

Last edited by rebeccah5; 04-16-2008 at 05:59 PM.
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote