Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Kotzurk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Extended rear facing?

I know a lot of you mamas do Extended rear facing. I was wondering why? What are the benifits? Does the child get too big? I mean, aren't their legs to long? Is this soemthing I should consider doing for Noah? How long do you keep them RF? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious.

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: Extended rear facing?

OOO Id like to get these answers too!
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Rearfacing is MUCH safer for children because it drastically reduces the stress on the neck/spine as opposed to forward facing.

DS is 27 months and I just switche him FF a couple of months ago.. he's 33 lbs fully clothed and thats the max rearfacing weight for his seat ('07 Boulevard & Marathon).

DD is 16 months and still happily RF in a Graco Safeseat Step 1 (infant seat) and an old-style Evenflo triumph. She will remain RF until she outgrows her seat.

That said, I too have made mistakes. Back in 2002 I was in an accident with my friend's 9 mo old daughter forward facing in a 1991 Century T-shield carseat.. we were going about 40 mph on impact, and fortunately she was completely unharmed. I was 18 yo, had no kids of my own, and honestly didnt know any better.. but at least that seat was securely installed.. Ive been incredibly consceintious of secure installs since i got my license (and that carseat) when I was 16. We all learn as we go
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #4
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PP - it is just SO much safer.

This youtube video really sums up everything I could type out here, it's a fantastic video.

I've earned $75 with Swagbucks AND I've lost 108.8lbs ISO MM Poppies
raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Kotzurk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What a great video. Thanks for that. I think that when I switch Noah out of his infant seat I am going to look for one that has a long RF life so to speak. Any suggestions on car seats?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Off the top of my head Britax Marathons rear face until 35 lbs. I know there are others, but I don't know what they are.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

Cosco Scerna RFs to 35 lbs too and is cheaper than the Britax.

Don't forget extended harnessing too!!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotzurk View Post
What a great video. Thanks for that. I think that when I switch Noah out of his infant seat I am going to look for one that has a long RF life so to speak. Any suggestions on car seats?
The Cosco Scenera ($40ish at Walmart) rear-faces to 35lbs which is the longest in the US I believe (the rest RF to around 33lbs). I would get the Scenera just for the 35lbs of rear-facing. It only goes to 40lbs FF'ing, but for $40 you'll get 2-3 years out of it likely.

Then you can move into a seat that harnesses FF'ing to a high weight. Avoid 3-in-1 seats because they are almost always outgrown by height before weight. I am a BIG fan of the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It rear-faces to 33lbs and ff's to 50 lbs (I think), up here in Canada it rf's to 30 lbs and ff's to 47 lbs. But it's a super cushy seat with nice high top harness slots, and it's $150ish.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #9
Kotzurk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykaysmommy View Post

Don't forget extended harnessing too!!
What is that??
Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #10
raelynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotzurk View Post
What is that??
It means harnessing past the "minimum" 40 lbs to go to a booster. So keep your child harnessed as long as absolutely possible!