Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
gsun3
Registered Users

Angry Doc wants me to supplement AGAIN???

DD is 7weeks she is having a problem with spitting up/throw up & I cannot figure out why -she was early by a month.....my diet? herbs??

I called the Doc he said to use formula "soy" - tried that for half a day - GROSS- it was worse -- tried milk based - same as BM - she spits up/throws up with it -I DO NOT WANT TO USE FORMULA !!!

he had me do pedalite 1-2oz if she spits up that she need to have some kind of surgery for her tummy??? WHAT ????little extreme -she did not spit it up --

any suggestions - I am taking fenugreek - could that be it???? dairy ??? I have some dairy in my diet do I need to take it all out ?? or is this just normal???

Advertisement

gsun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

Re: Doc wants me to supplement AGAIN???

I don't know anything about the fenugreek so I am no help there. But my cousin is going thru similar issues with her 6week old so I did some research for her and all signs pointed to an allergy. Since the most common one is milk she tried that. She cut out milk and her baby is doing much better and without any supplemental formula.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
Lisa-Rachelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that it could be a dairy issue. I cut it out of my diet when I noticed my baby getting tummy aches around 3 weeks of age and she is doing ten times better now.

About Fenugreek, I know it gives my baby horrible gas and indigestion, so I cant take it anymore. You might try cutting it out for about 4-6 days and see if it makes a difference.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Surgery? Woah try some other optiosn first.

Anyway, I had problems that sound identical & I cut out dairy & it went away.

And I do mean ALL dairy - don't just think no milk consumption is dairy free - you have to read EVERYTHING. Even potatoe chips have milk sometimes! Remember butter too... it was hard but after a while got used to it.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #5
clothluvinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i had the same prob....ds threw up all the time until he was close to 1 it was awful...i just kept trucking and eventually he got over it, he didnt seem extra hungry or anything...my dr. sd sometimes baby's just do that....
Old 09-09-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Does she still gain weight? DS#2 had reflux and it really worried me at first. He always gained like a champ, so I waited it out. At seven months he stopped spitting up ALL the time. BTW- I would get a different pediatrition! Only the best is good enough for your baby!
Old 09-09-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

If my first DS had done this, I would have freaked out and taken him to the doc every five minutes. I am glad it happened the 2nd time around instead because I have much more confidence in myself and my ability to keep my babies healthy. Since he was still gaining weight it was okay that he was spitting up all the time- he obviously retained enough. If your baby isn't gaining enough you should definitely look into your own diet and see if there is something in your milk that she can't handle. La Leche League can definitely help you with that.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DS has to be supplemented, and there are times when I think he spits up ALL of the supplement! But he's still hungry if he doesn't get it, and he's still gaining weight just fine, even though he spits up ALL the time. So I'd say if you're baby is still gaining weight, you're doing fine.

And I'd suggest a new ped. My ped tried to keep us from supplementing as long as possible. My DS was a month early and by like, 8 weeks was failure to thrive because my milk just wasn't where he needed it to be. Then and only then did we start supplementing. And even now I'm looking into making my own formula instead of that canned crap.

Good luck!
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #9
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

my dd threw up like this alot for the first several weeks.. we did fianlly figure out she was allergic to milk so I completly stopped ANY and ALL dairy and it seemed to be the fix.. hope you can figure it out!!
Old 09-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

Second Thought: Isn't formula HARDER on thier little tummies than BM??? Why would your doc say that??