Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
homebirth/pain management

What kinds of things are you using for pain management at your homebirth? I was asked if I wanted to take any kind of classes and said no at the time. I am no 36 weeks (as of tomorrow) and this will be my first homebirth. I am now kind of freaking out that I didn't take anything. The reason I didn't is chances are whatever I learned (paid money for) I would prob end up not using. So I didn't want to waste the money.

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Heather81
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: homebirth/pain management

Hypnobirthing and an aquadural (aka waterbirth). Water works WONDERS for pain management!

The most important thing you can do for yourself is to take each contraction one at a time. Forget about the next one and get through the one at hand. If you worry about what's to come you'll tense up. Go with your body instead of fighting and you'll find it's MUCH easier

Try not to worry though. Your body knows what to do. You're gonna be great!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I did hypnobabies at my last birth and my next birth will hopefully be a homebirth -- I plan to do hypnobabies again. I didn't have zero pain or anything, but I do think it reduced pain and really helped me relax.

If I were you, I would really practice relaxation. That sounds silly, but it really is easiest done while in pain if you've truly practiced it.

And water! Water helps so much.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #4
sweetpeamami83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather81 View Post
Hypnobirthing and an aquadural (aka waterbirth). Water works WONDERS for pain management!

The most important thing you can do for yourself is to take each contraction one at a time. Forget about the next one and get through the one at hand. If you worry about what's to come you'll tense up. Go with your body instead of fighting and you'll find it's MUCH easier

Try not to worry though. Your body knows what to do. You're gonna be great!

Guess I should of added I am planning on a waterbirth.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM   #5
Delilah's Mama
Baby Badunkadunk
seller

My Mood:

Toning (low controlled moans) really worked for me.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
localuna
Registered Users

My Mood:

Classes are invaluable in my opinion. But you have to find the right one.

Here's some pain coping techniques I use with clients:

Breath Awareness
Non Focused Awareness
Accupressure
Heat compresses (lower back and lower abdomen)
Positioning- If baby is OP(back labor) using favorable positioning to move him.
Water (shower, tub)
Hydration- dehydration can make labor stall, thus leading to longer labor
Massage (Counter pressure on lower back or hip squeeze)
Vocalization (loved this for mine!)-use "barey white" groans- deep and low
Rocking chair
Walking
Hands and Knees
Birth Ball

You can google any of the above to learn more about them. I highly suggest going to spinningbaies dot com. I fully believe in optimal fetal positioning. Learn to "rest smart" now and get baby lined up will lead to an easier, less painful labor.

Good luck!
localuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

My last birth (first homebirth after 2 hospital pitocin births) I pretty much walked around the house getting things together for the birth, stopping with contractions, when they got really strong, I had DH fill the tub up with water and I had to push as soon as I got in the tub. DH said my face totally relaxed with the water. DD was born (waterbirth) about 3-5 min after my midwife arrived, 45 minutes after I woke DH up!

After have pitocin contractions with the first 2 babies and then having Braxton Hicks for about 3 weeks with DD #3 I really didn't think I was going into labor that night!!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

I'm going to use affirmation statements. Telling myself that there is no pain. It worked with DD last year. I had ZERO pain through the whole process of losing her, before and after. When they kept asking me to rate my pain on a scale of 1-10 and I kept saying zero, they wouldn't believe me. After everything they sent me home with vicodin and I never used any of it. Not even some tylenol.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
babyholic
Registered Users

I never expect pain, so what I experience with my birth has not been associated as pain to me. I feel uncomfortable, there are some painful moments, but labor itself is not painful to me.

I have used counterpressure and waterbirth. Both worked great for me. I trained in Lamaze and Bradley all through my childhood (My parents taught childbirth classes for 22 years.) The relaxation works much better than any breathing, but I have to say, remembering to breathe for the baby at the start and end of each contraction keeps baby from having decels in the heart rate.

I think you will find that just the freedom to move around and eat will help you a lot!
Old 04-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #10
Dreamer
Do Not FSOT with this user~ mediation in progress
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeamami83 View Post
What kinds of things are you using for pain management at your homebirth? I was asked if I wanted to take any kind of classes and said no at the time. I am no 36 weeks (as of tomorrow) and this will be my first homebirth. I am now kind of freaking out that I didn't take anything. The reason I didn't is chances are whatever I learned (paid money for) I would prob end up not using. So I didn't want to waste the money.
I think just going ahead and preparing myself for the fact that I'm GOING to be uncomfortable for X amount of time and then its going to be over was enough for me to get through it.

That said, my labor was not very bad at ALL--I could do labor EVERYSINGLEDAY and not be that bothered by it. The pushing part was more than I could have ever imagined, but at the same time, it was exactly what I had prepared myself for. I told myself throughout my pregnancy that it'll be tough for a few hours, really really hard for about 20 minutes and then it'll be over. And that is EXACTLY how the birth went. I kind of wish I had said all along, "It'll be really really easy, and then the baby will just slide out"

Mind over matter, baby!

-a