Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
csully4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help with taking a bottle

My ds is exclusively bf and I only need him to take a bottle every once in a while. I have tried platex and avent sippy cup. He won't even take a pacifier. He is 12 weeks old. Is there any tricks. I have tried having other people feed him and trying when he is almost asleep. If anything other than me touches his mouth he pushes it out with his tongue. He won't even suck on my fingers but he will suck on his. Thanks ladies.

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with taking a bottle

We're having this problem too mama. My DS is only 6 weeks though. Playtex- no way and no pacis. We also tried medela and it was a no go. He acts like he has no idea what to do with the nipple! I got a nuk bottle and a first years breast flow to try. If those don't work we're going to try adiri, but trying the cheapies first! I'll let you know how the nuk goes tonight!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
katey
Registered Users

My dd never did take a bottle. She is now almost 13 months and just started drinking milk from the sippy this month. I tried a bunch of bottles and cups, but she only wanted it from the tap!

I am at home so it was not too big of a deal. It was a pain that I could not be away from her for more then a couple of hours at a time, but we managed. It ended up not being too big of a deal.

I hope you find something that works, but I have heard a lot of stories about babies that never would take a bottle. Good luck!
katey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
IttyBittyOrganics
Registered Users

My Mood:

Adiri is most like a breast but a little pricey Works wonders with my little one.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katey View Post
My dd never did take a bottle. She is now almost 13 months and just started drinking milk from the sippy this month. I tried a bunch of bottles and cups, but she only wanted it from the tap!

I am at home so it was not too big of a deal. It was a pain that I could not be away from her for more then a couple of hours at a time, but we managed. It ended up not being too big of a deal.

I hope you find something that works, but I have heard a lot of stories about babies that never would take a bottle. Good luck!
Not an option for someone who has to go back to work 12 hour days 2 days a week.
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
csully4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry you are counting down to when you have to go back to work. I had that issue with the other three but not this time. Yeah!! My ds also acts like he doesn't know what to do with any nipple other than mine. He will push it out, knaw on it, or just gag like a cat with a fur ball. My dh will have to deal with ds's first separation from me this Fri. I have to get some dental work done. I'm just hoping iut won't take too long. May 9th is the next time I wil be away from him. My dh needs me to go with him while he gets fixed.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ds will suck anything you put in his mouth, paci, bottles, fingers, etc. So I'm no help, but just wanted to say I hope you find something that works for you, and I've heard from other moms with kids who refused bottles at first and they said you just have to keep at it. Hope you post saying you found one that works!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
JenB1983
Registered Users

The ONLY bottle my youngest would take was the Evenflo Elan. We tried the Playtex nursers, Vent-Air, Soothie, Avent, Nuk, Dr. Brown's, cheapy gerber(LOL), and finally found the Elan. Of course; he still would only rarely take a bottle(as in once a month), but he would take it.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
wendellg
Registered Users

My Mood:

We're having the same issue here. I'd really be interested in hearing what works.
wendellg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:35 PM   #10
mommy2bugnbugga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son will take a bottle only from anyone that isn't me...lol. If I tried to feed him a bottle he won't take it. I use the first years soothie bottles.
mommy2bugnbugga is offline   Reply With Quote