Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Can twins hide in utero and not be detected by Ultrasound?

I was wondering if with modern medicine it is still possible to miss twins on ultrasounds? ie. in the 'old' days they would say one twin 'hide' behind the other and they didn't know it was twins until delivery.

My sister in law and i were having this conversation and i wondered what people knew or have heard or have experienced.

I could see if you didn't have ANY ultrasounds then, yes of course it could be missed, but if you have at least 1 ultrasound then i'm wondering what the stats are that a twin is missed.

Does this make sense? or am i a rambling pregnant women?

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
GEMQEMCABOOSE
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Can twins hide in utero and not be detected by Ultrasound?

I have no idea, but at our dating US at 7w5d, my OB saw twins within 10 seconds of inserting the transvag wand.
Leslie Helpmeet since 1999. WAHM to Big(04), Middle(08) and Little(09) and Double Blessings (10/13).Granola crunchy, scheduling, Evangelical Liberal mommy that CDs, BFs, ERFs, & BWs. An attached parent without the Attachment Parenting.
GEMQEMCABOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have heard of it happening occasionally with early dating ultrasounds, but I'd imagine it would be very, very rare to miss a twin at an anatomy scan.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu
I have heard of it happening occasionally with early dating ultrasounds, but I'd imagine it would be very, very rare to miss a twin at an anatomy scan.
Yes. There is a girl in the August DDC that the twin was missed at the early dating u/s but I believe her twin was discovered at a 12-13 week scan.
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
happy2beamom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEMQEMCABOOSE View Post
I have no idea, but at our dating US at 7w5d, my OB saw twins within 10 seconds of inserting the transvag wand.
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu View Post
That was my thought too. Perhaps at the dating ultrasound one was smaller, later implanter, etc, but that by the 18-20 week scan that it shouldn't be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
Yes. There is a girl in the August DDC that the twin was missed at the early dating u/s but I believe her twin was discovered at a 12-13 week scan.
Yes, i remember she was quite shocked
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn97 View Post
This happened with my friend with her identical twins. She was "high risk" because she was 40+ and pregnant. It wasn't until her 12 week ultrasound (which was her THIRD ULTRASOUND for the pregnancy) when they were doing the nuchal fold thing that they found two babies - identical twins.

They were shocked they were pregnant to begin with, and then only to find out on the third ultrasound that it was twins to boot. Her boys are 3 now.

My kid's teacher at school had a midwife and only went into the doctor to have the anatomy ultrasound at 20 something weeks. She found out at the ultrasound that she was having twins. She ended up being induced when she went to term and her boys were each 9 lbs and some change. She won some hospital record. LOL
Old 04-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
lynn97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish3737

This happened with my friend with her identical twins. She was "high risk" because she was 40+ and pregnant. It wasn't until her 12 week ultrasound (which was her THIRD ULTRASOUND for the pregnancy) when they were doing the nuchal fold thing that they found two babies - identical twins.

They were shocked they were pregnant to begin with, and then only to find out on the third ultrasound that it was twins to boot. Her boys are 3 now.

My kid's teacher at school had a midwife and only went into the doctor to have the anatomy ultrasound at 20 something weeks. She found out at the ultrasound that she was having twins. She ended up being induced when she went to term and her boys were each 9 lbs and some change. She won some hospital record. LOL
Wow!!! I have never heard of twins being that big! Thank goodness they induced her.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
lynn97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

if this scenario can happen:
_________
“Was there a C-section on a patient who was not pregnant?” another plaintiff's lawyer asked Dr. Anca Rosca.

“Yes,” said Rosca. “Turns out she wasn’t pregnant.”

According to her testimony, Rosca performed a sonogram on the patient but midway through handed over that sonogram to an attending physician and left the room before any surgery was started.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/investigat...138783374.html

________

then i think its plausible! ina may gaskin talks about relying on technology too much and how docs are not trained to just feel the baby (or babies) manually anymore. makes one wonder bc these stories pop up from time to time.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My old neighbor had a few scans and they never detected twins. They sent her to the hospital after she gained like 20lbs and her fundal height grew by several weeks from 32-34wks. They worried about excess amniotic fluid or Pre-eclampsia but it ended up being twins! They were born 2wks later at 36wks!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say it pretty rare after the 20 week scan at least
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote