Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
quietdusk
Registered Users

Losing weight while bf

I was wondering if any of you mamas have advice on losing weight a little more quickly. I have my calories under control (1600-1800/day) , but I don't always have time to fit in a workout.
Before I got pg I was taking pyruvate and it worked well for me. Does anyone know if it's ok to take while bf? I kinda assume it is since it's something our body naturally produces, but ya never know...
I'm currently 170 and hoping to be down to 145 or so by August...

Advertisement

Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Mags462
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Losing weight while bf

I'm currently trying to lose baby weight from baby #1 (i've already lost baby#2 poundage).... and for me what has worked besides running, is simply making sure my calories are of the "better" variety rather than the "easy" variety.... what i mean is that i try to eat chicken, fish, veggies, rice, etc.... which takes time and planning instead of just gobbling up those leftover nuggets from DS plate or munching on a handful of chips. I don't want my supply to suffer, but i also am tired of the pudge. So far so good.... i want to lose 20 lbs by mid August..... so roughly 1 lb a week or so.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
mum2James&Julia
Registered Users
Formerly: mum2James&Bean
seller

My Mood:

heh... you tell me! I have a wedding I'm involved in in August (I'm the bride ) and I seriously wouldn't mind losing 40 lbs or so. I can never seem to lose weight while BF.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
quietdusk
Registered Users

~sigh~ Why is it sooo much harder to lose it than it is to gain??
Old 04-19-2008, 03:24 AM   #5
lovemy3boys
FUN & MENTAL are Fundamental
seller

My Mood:

i wish i could help you! i never lost any weight 'because' of breastfeeding and i sure as heck haven't lost any while breastfeeding i have about the same amount to lose as you (i weight just about the same even) after my first son, i went from 130 to 205 :yuk: and after he was born i stayed at 205 for awhile. then around the time i concieved my twins i was at 180... then lost 15lbs.. didn't gain anything with my twins till after 18 weeks and by the time they were born at 33 weeks i was at 205 again... but i've since lost that and been hoveringat 165 since. i don't have the chanceto workout. i can't take all three kids with me to walk/run easily and i have bad asthma as well. and dh's schedule mixed with bedtimes leaves about 4 hours to get everyone fed, cleaned up and in bed... so there really isn't much time after he's off work to go alone either....

sorry about that... i need just as much advice as you! gl loosing mama
Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 PM   #6
quietdusk
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemy3boys View Post

sorry about that... i need just as much advice as you! gl loosing mama
No worries. Maybe if it stays bumped up long enough someone will discover a magical food we can eat and have the lbs drop off :fingers crossed:
lol
Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
mamadrea
Registered Users

This might sound kind of stupid, but I think part of the reason I've lost all my baby weight (plus an additional 10 pounds) is because I carry my baby EVERYWHERE. LO is 13 months now and has never been left in a baby carrier, crib, etc. I carry him, put him in the sling, mei tai, or backpack.

I hate hate hate working out, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE carrying my baby, which I think makes up for my lack of working out. We walk the mall, and I carry him... I put him in the backpack while I vacuum... When we get back from the grocery store and I unload the car, I do it one bag at a time, while holding my son at the same time. Little things like that, in addition to watching what I eat (and drink... no soda!!) I think is what works for me.

None of the mamas I know who have bottle fed their babies have lost all of their additional poundage, so I do think bfing helps. Although, they are all mamas who don't lug their little ones around much either, so who knows...
mamadrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Meri
Registered Users

It's possible you're not eating ENOUGH food, actually. I have a lot more to lose--but I'm on weight watchers and I am supposed to consume about 2200 calories a day when I do not get any excercise. I find that when I ate the amount of food suggested by Weight Watchers that i actually lost more weight. I've lost 12 lbs in the last month.

Maybe try a plan like that? But, I'm most certain that you're not supposed to use any kind of supplement while you're nursing because many of those things pass through to the milk.
Meri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
angela2mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was also going to suggest weight watchers! I am bfing my 4th baby now and I haver never lost weight on my own. As soon as I start WW and have to keep track of my intake, I lose like crazy.

Me personally, I would stay away from any weight loss supp. while nursing.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM   #10
kellysue1972
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow, some good advice here!
I like the babywearing-as-calorie-burning idea!
I do carry my baby a lot, but if I carried her more, like the mama suggested, it may help!
I also have heard that WW works, but I just hate to have to start with the restricting/counting cals again
But I know that's prob the only way to do it in a healthy way.
I was thinking of doing Jenny Craig or something like that since they have an office nearby... Hmmm the cost is what keeps me from doing it. And I need to lose about 40 lbs! Anyone tried them?
It's a good thing I already lost about 40 lbs in the first 3 mos post-partum! I think bfing helped in that area, but I had gained waaay too much weight for it to all come off that easily.
I'll keep watching for any other good suggestions...