Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
~Stephanie~
Registered Users

My Mood:
Home Birth Mommas

Can you tell me a little bit about your experiences with homebirth? We are planning on a homebirth this time around. My midwife will be coming to the house in the next month or two to discuss things in depth. I'm wondering what questions to ask. Any sharing of experiences and/or advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

Mommy to Cameron (8) Isabel (6) Parker (4) and Wyatt just turned 1! Expecting baby #5 on October 17th, 2008.
~Stephanie~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Home Birth Mommas

We had an awesome homebirth! I will never go back to a hospital unless its an emergency. I'll come back and post more when I'm not nak.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiverfillin
We had an awesome homebirth! I will never go back to a hospital unless its an emergency.

You can read my homebirth story here.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have had 2 hospital births and 1 homebirth. My homebirth was the best experience of the three. I felt so calm, at ease, and honestly do not remember being in any pain. I worked hard but it was fun. I loved being able to deliver right in the water in my kitchen!! I loved not having to go anywhere, and not having to wake up my older kids to drag them to a sitter.

My midwife was absolutely fabulous!! Oh, I did not get checked for dilation once in the course of my labor. Pretty cool, eh? We also got to watch a movie during my labor, snack on watermelon, and rest. When I felt the urge to push, my midwife just said I should listen to my body.

I absolutely loved being tucked into bed with my new baby and DH.

I strongly recommend homebirth to all my friends. If you are low-risk, and you trust your body, this is the way to go. It is way safer and more pleasant an experience than any hospital can offer.

Ask your midwife about what she would do exactly when you are in labor; will she check you and the baby and how often; will she encourage you to decide where to birth; under what circumstances will she consider a transfer to a hospital; will she do the postnatal checks (mine did a full 6 week follow up with daily and then weekly visits); will she stitch you up if you tear, etc.

HTH! And best of luck with your birth!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #5
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Ask her every question you can think of. Ask her about diet, prenatal vitamins, how many births she has attended, how many times she referred women to the hospital, any unsuccessful births- why, what happened, her view on high risk, circumsision, episiotomy, tearing, birthing method- waterbirth, birthing stool, Vit K shot, eye drops, PKU test... That is just off the top of my head.
We had our first at the hospital and our second at home. I will never go back to the hospital! Our homebirth was so wonderful, fulfilling, empowering. Every women should get to expereince natural birth!
I do recommend finding the most knowledgable, experienced and capable midwife possible. The key to a smooth birth is your own comfort level. You need to feel safe wherever you are.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3..._Birth014a.jpg
Old 09-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
presleycaedmon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristina
Ask her every question you can think of. Ask her about diet, prenatal vitamins, how many births she has attended, how many times she referred women to the hospital, any unsuccessful births- why, what happened, her view on high risk, circumsision, episiotomy, tearing, birthing method- waterbirth, birthing stool, Vit K shot, eye drops, PKU test... That is just off the top of my head.
We had our first at the hospital and our second at home. I will never go back to the hospital! Our homebirth was so wonderful, fulfilling, empowering. Every women should get to expereince natural birth!
I do recommend finding the most knowledgable, experienced and capable midwife possible. The key to a smooth birth is your own comfort level. You need to feel safe wherever you are.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3..._Birth014a.jpg
!!! Took the thoughts right out of my head!! LOL
Old 09-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #7
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 3 hospital births, 1 with deomoral, one with epi and one pain med free, ( but i had Pitocoin)
Then i had a birth center birth, and it was an aweseom experience. I was home just a couple hours after i had my baby...

last time around i had planned a HB from the beginning. When my son died at 17 weeks, i still wanted a HB. So my mw agreed, and 4 weeks later i had the most wonderful birthin experience. i know that sounds wierd, since he was Stillborn, but it was amazing!!! Quiet and peacefull. and on my terms.. No intimidation from nursing staff and docs, and i was so comfortable in my own bed
I am now preggy again, and we are doing a homebirth again... I will never go back to a hospital... I love having to not go anywhere, labor how i want, wher ei want. and eat! LOL
Old 09-11-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
sharebear2u
Registered Users
seller

Thumbs up Re: Home Birth Mommas

Well, I am a hospital mama, but I have read beautiful stories with pic online that totally had me If I had never had problems (very premature, cord entanglement, extreme high blood pressure/swelling at the end of the last) I would really want to try a home birth. My gma had either 9 or 10 out of 11 at home!!

I am sure that if you do searches online you will find lots!

Sherrie
Old 09-11-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
MistyP
Registered Users
seller

I am an L&D nurse, so some really look at me funny when I decided to have a homebirth!

I had 2 hospital births both with pitocin. My third DD is 3 weeks old and we planned a homebirth from the start and it was a great experience for both DH and me. I did have some meconium in my fluid and my midwife said she would have had to transfer me (to the hospital where I work!) but she got here literally 3-4 minutes before DD was born. I did have a tear they repaired, the worst part in IMO (BTW they do use lidocaine to numb, have pitocin for pp hemorrhage if needed, oxygen, suction, etc) It was wonderful to feel like we were in control, our other 2 DD's slept through it all, went to fast to call the babysitter. The babysitter kept them that day and the baby and I went back to bed!

There are some very good MW's out there and some bad ones (we have a local mw called "the angel of death" who had her license removed and is still practicing.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
YumaDoula
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second everything everyone has said. Ask everything/anything you can think of! Even if it seems "dumb" or whatever, just ASK.

Main q's I wanted to know: under what circumstances does she transfer, what does she bring for pp hemorrhage (that's the biggest problems for all births, not just home), what are her policies for doppler/fetoscope -- 1 min on a doppler = 20 min of ultrasound, so I prefer a fetoscope. How long does she stay pp. How many assistants/apprentices (I really prefer as few people as possible). How much money.

Etc etc etc. One thing that really swayed my dh was when she said that everything you see a birth center (where we had dd) she brings to our house.

Looking forward to a new butt to fluff in December!
YumaDoula is offline   Reply With Quote