Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
My Mood:
Re: Home Birth Mommas

I was in between. I had a waterbirth at a free standing birth center last(and next) time. I had Hazel about 8 at night and went home the next morning. It felt like home(better since I was living with mil at the time lol) and I didn't have to worry about what to have on hand and clean up.

hfitz5051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
My Mood:
Re: Home Birth Mommas

I had my first at the hosp- but it was as close to a home birth at a hosp possible. I showed up at 10 and a hundred and my doc and his wife had homebirths so he was so okay with our natural plans.

our last three and this next one to come have been homebirths. Each different and wonderful in there own way. OUr first homebirth, I was in prodromal labor for 2 weeks so when I went into labor it was very quik and so Hannah arrived before anyone else did- it was an amazing expierence for my hubby and I though.
So many people have already said so many great things and your midwife will have a lot to say as well. Here is something fun we did that I would suggest doing!
My midwife at the time did a home check between 36 and 37 weeks to make sure all was in order. After I had the okay I through a "Birth-Day" party for everyone we was planning on being there either before during or after the birth. This was our way of letting everyone know what our plans and hopes were and what everyones job was, where things were and what we thought would best help us. (note: this was our first home birth and ironicly this is the one that everyone missed- lol) It was great because everyone got to see where we were keeping our birth supplies, where the extra towels and sheets were, how my washer and dryer worked, what yummies we were planning on having available for our visitors and midwife. Who would keep the coffee going. Where were all the soiled linens oing while waiting for the washer. Who would have my other children or watch them in our home. Where are numbers were- so and so forth. It was soooooo much fun and really made my little team feel very important. Also since I had had one other child I did know a little about how I dealt with labor and so I was able to touch on that as well.
Hannah was born into my hubbys arms in the middle of the night. Our oldest slept through the whole thing including all the racket after everyone showed up. Because of the hour in which she came only 2 of my friends came over to help and it was fantastic. They knew excatly what need to be done and where everything was and by the time I had come out of the shower, all dirty things were gone and in the wash (by the way it wasn't that messy but I birth standing up over a chuck so my bed had no way to get mucked up- although there is an easy solution to that as well and your midwife will talk to you about it), my room was fresh and clean, my afterbirth tea was made, coffee was on for my midwife and her assitant and breakfast was being prepared. FANTASTIC! and then we all sat around and weighed and measured and ohhed and awed and then my hubby and I went to sleep- they man"ed my house and when I awoke they had swapped out with my Mom who was there with the rest of that part of my family to ohh and awe some more.

Anyway- I would do that- have a party- it will help you stay organised and really make you and them feel so very special!...Minda

Note: we also went over an emergency plan inwhich they knew what was to be done according to my midwife should something happen for both during labor or after delivery. It was very important for us to know who would help me or the baby- how to get me downstairs- whose cars would be used so parking was also addressed.
I have a Large family/homeschooling blog!!!
Daughter of The King, helpmeet to my Manly and mama to 10 and trying for more
MyGlorylife is offline   Reply With Quote