Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Low sugar/sugar free recipies needed

I am looking to greatly reduce if not eliminate sugar from my 8yo DD's diet. Anybody have any good recipies they'd be willing to share? BUDGET is a big issue at my house, BTW... Thanks!

Advertisement

daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:05 PM   #2
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Low sugar/sugar free recipies needed

Hey there,

Reducing sugar is always a good idea.

Just so you know you can safely reduce sugar by 1/2 the called amount in homemade cookies and treats. We are reducing sugar intake in our home and we also no longer eat any prepackaged food items because my daughter is sensitive to food coloring/additives/preservatives, etc.

We just love the following cookies! I took the recipe from the quaker oats box and modified it by reducing sugar in half and we use real chocolate chips instead of raisins because no one likes raisins in our house.

Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup (2 sticks) butter. Use real butter and make sure it is really soft (leave it at room temp over night) this makes sure the cookies are nice and soft after baking
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (do yourself a favor and get the real vanilla, not the cheap fake stuff)
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinammon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups Quaker Oats (we use old fashioned) or you can use any rolled oats
1/2 cup chocolate chips (Guiradelli (sp?) is one of the best brands otherwise you are getting fake chocolate with vanillin) or you can use 1 cup raisins or half and half.

1. Heat oven to 350
2. Use a mixer and beat together butter and sugars until creamy
3. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well
4. In a seperate bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Then pour into sugar mixture and use mixer to combine.
5. Stir in oats and chocolate chips. Mix into dough with hands. Messy, but the best way to make homemade cookies.
6. Drop by spoonfulls onto ungreased cookie sheets
7. Bake 8 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to wire rack or they will fall apart.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
Cloth4us
Registered Users

I make this same recipe all the time (with margarine and raisins)- Everyone loves it and people are always asking for the recipe.
Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't you love it? My daughter won't touch cookies offered to her from boxes anymore she always says "oatmeal cookie?!" she is only 21 months - LOL.

BTW, we used margarine once and the cookies were crunch and not soft - you didn't have that problem? We only use butter now anyway but I was just curious.

Last edited by camdensmommy; 09-20-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #5
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy
...We are reducing sugar intake in our home and we also no longer eat any prepackaged food items because my daughter is sensitive to food coloring/additives/preservatives, etc....
This is what I'm thinking might be our problem. But, I odn't know where to start! I'm lucky, I'm a SAHM, so I can be in the kitchen all day every day (ok, not really, but you know what i mean ) if needed. My big dilema right now is breakfast. I'm thinking sending her to school all hopped up on sugar is not the best of ideas. She is VERY picky, so that's an issue, too. Man, my house has issues

Thanks again, ladies!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Trust your instincts. You are probably right on the money when it comes to food sensitivities. I bet you will find that your daughter isn't sensitive to sugar so much as the stuff that is usually accompanied by it. Try looking at www.feingold.org.

I am amazed at how much food coloring can mess up our kids and how no one (the food industry) cares.

What does she normally eat for breakfast and we can think of alternatives.

Does she like waffles? You can make homemade or if you are in a time pinch the Eggo Homestyle waffles are approved by Feingold. Buy real maple syrup not the other stuff. And you only need a little it goes along way. Does she like oatmeal? Boil your own rolled oat and add a little bit of butter, maple syrup and brown sugar and it is way better than that package stuff. You could do a bunch of fruit and add some plain vanilla yogurt to it and then serve some whole grain toast on the side. But yeah - omitting the Lucky Charms and Captain Crunch would be a good start.

Jessica

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyprincess98
This is what I'm thinking might be our problem. But, I odn't know where to start! I'm lucky, I'm a SAHM, so I can be in the kitchen all day every day (ok, not really, but you know what i mean ) if needed. My big dilema right now is breakfast. I'm thinking sending her to school all hopped up on sugar is not the best of ideas. She is VERY picky, so that's an issue, too. Man, my house has issues

Thanks again, ladies!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #7
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've done homemade waffles, those are good. She usually eats cereal, cinnomin toast, or hard boiled eggs. I was thinking of making some muffins or something, but I don't have any recipies w/out sugar!

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check that out...
Old 09-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #8
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

Someone posted this on another board and when I saw your post I instantly thought of it. I haven't had a chance to give it a try but I hope it helps. I think you could sub white flour for the WW flour. And Flaxseed isn't very expensive, but really good for you. You could probably omit the pecans to make it a little cheaper to make. Hope you enjoy them I am going to make them one day. LOL

Banana Muffins

2 medium-sized ripe bananas cut into chunks
1 cup white grape juice concentrate
3 tbls canola oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/2 cup all-fruit strawberry preserves

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Line a standard-size 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.

2. Place the bananas, grape juice concentrate, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

3. Place the whole wheat flour, flaxseed, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and stir to mix.

4. Pour the banana mixture over the dry ingredients, and stir gently just until thoroughly blended; be careful not to overmix.

5. Gently fold in the pecans.

6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, dividing it evenly amond the muffin cups.

7. With your index finger or the back of a spoon, make an indentation in each muffin, and fill each with 2 teaspoons of strawberry preserves.

8. Bake the muffins until a toothpick insterted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 minutes.

9. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack and let cool completely. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days or individually wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen for 3 mos.

Makes 12 muffins.
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mmmm. that sounds yummy! Sounds like ground flaxseed is on the next grocery list!