Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
WOHMammas,question

I plan to BF DS until he's 2 (or ready to stop). I'm a Resident Physician and work crazy hours (I'm at work right now!! LOL). Anyhow, I've been able to pump fine and people are even really nice about helping me get my pumping in. My concern is that they won't be quite as accomodating after he's one (not surprisingly, most of the other physicians don't even realize that you should BF until AT LEAST one year, let alone longer than that..they didn't exactly cover that in medical school). The other issue is that I don't really want to be tied to the pump after he's one..it got old a long time ago, but I still do it because I know that BFing is best for him.

So, what did you ladies do? Did you slow your pumping down some? If so, were you still able to maintain an adequate supply for your little one? I was thinking that I would pump before leaving home and then do a quick one at lunch. I would only pump more than that if I were on 24 hour in-house call.

I'm trying to prepare myself since he's almost 9 months now, so this situation will be real pretty soon.

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
dds07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WOHMammas,question

Hi- I'm also a resident. I have a 7mo old little girl and I've got the same concern....they let me leave seminars early, schedule patients late, etc. now, but I'm a little concerned they are going to think I'm trying to skip out or that I'm being...I don't know what, but something like over protective after the 1 year mark. Our dean is very supportive, though, so if I get any flak I'm going to take it up with her.
Meggan, wife to Loren, mommy to Kate born 9.7.07, #2 Due in Feb 2012
dds07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
snookler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I don't work nearly as crazy hours as you do, but I did stop pumping at work shortly after my baby turned one. My supply was sufficient by that time that it wasn't a concern, and he was steadily on solids. I do come home for lunch, though, so I was ony away for 5 hours at a time. I would think that you would definately have to keep pumping at least once if you were going to be away for more than 12 hours if only to keep yourself from being engorged and uncomfortable. I did become more of a closet pumper after 1 year, but since I didn't do it as frequently, only the people I worked closely with really ever noticed, so I didn't talk about it much.
So your plan sounds fine. It worked for us, my son nursed until 2.5yrs.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
charitycase20
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not a doctor so my hours are a piece of cake compared to yours but with DD I basically stopped pumping at work after she turned 1yr. I only pumped twice anyway but i tapered down to once and then not at all. She still nursed when we were together and all weekend long!! (Mondays were interesting!) And she still got BF at DC until she was roughly 14 months because of the freezer stash, then she had milk with her lunch and water the rest of the day until I picked her up at 3:30pm. Of course I don't know what I'm going to do with DS, I don't want to start him on solids until I absolutely need to due to some allergy issues. I'll probably be pumping longer.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies ladies.

I think that I'll probably end up pumping before leaving home and then once during the day at work. I have 2000+ ounces in the freezer so I should have plenty of back up if I end up in a bind. Hopefully it works fine though. We'll see in 3 months!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
kellysue1972
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hi, I work fewer days per week, but often 12-14 hours a day and I dropped down to pumping just once per day at 12 mos. She is now only 13 mos, and I am still doing this and not sure how long I will keep it up (pumping at work). DD does eat lots during the day, but only gets like 6 oz of Breast Milk per day when I am away. She nurses frequently in eves and weekends or when I am home, though. I have yet to give her any cow's milk, and don't really plan to...
Old 04-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I didn't pump but had to finish Student Teaching when DS1 was over a year old (14-16 mos) and I thought *for sure* he would wean. Well, he didn't wean and I just kept right on nursing, no pumping, and I had a great supply.

During Student Teaching I was away anywhere from 8 to 12 hours per day. I just nursed him when I was available. He went that whole time I was away without any nursing. He did, however, reverse his nursing schedule and began to nurse again in the wee hours of the morning (3 am ) but I didn't mind since I had to be gone all day.

Not sure what your "crazy schedule" is like, but I would say continue to nurse. As your LO gets older, they will most likely not nurse as often. I continued to nurse DS1 maybe 4 to 6 times per day until he was maybe 2, 2 1/2 and then he nursed until 35 mos old. Pretty crazy. But he also has some food sensitivities/allergies and I'm sure glad I just followed his lead because I believe they could be worse and I think extended BF'ing contributed to them being not as severe. JMO.

ETA: I truly believe nurslings are really adaptable. When mama is away, they don't have problems with solids other fluids, but if you just continue to nurse when you can I don't think you'll have any problems.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.

Last edited by frogandtoad; 04-20-2008 at 09:23 PM.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the advise ladies.

When I say "crazy schedule" I mean on the average day I work 12 hours or so, but every 4th day I am on-call at the hospital for 24-30 hours, so I'm away that entire time. Of course, I know that I would need to pump during those times, but I am more concerned about the more "normal" 12-hour days.

Anyhow, hopefully I'll figure it out. I have 3 months before it's reality.