Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #191
cdmd1023
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pinning challenge! :D

we have only been doing bv here, Im tempted to get a few cpf's

Advertisement

Baby #3 is on the way! EDD 10/28/11
cdmd1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:03 PM   #192
AJsMommy
Registered Users
seller

My lo took a nap in his pinned diaper and, lo and behold, it was still on!! Here's the dipe after a nap:

IT WAS SOAKED!!
And here's how I modified the oragami fold to make it neat like this:

The wings folded down, instead of in, so that it's not so bulky at the pinning edge.

Roll in the sides to get a nice fit

Fold the edge evenly with itself.

Nice and tightly rolled.

And viola...a nicely pinned diaper. This works great under our wool! No bulky spots sticking out and so far (I'm on the first day of really using this fold) seems to hold the pee AND the doubler in (previously the doubler would fall out...that's really not pretty when you're making dinner and find a lone doubler lying on the floor, especially when you pick it up and think "oh, he got into the laundry again" only to find that it's SOAKED.
AJsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #193
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

im doing good. ALL kids (DS, DD1 and 2) are in pins today
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #194
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommysings3 View Post
I had a set of pins, my first set, that I got online. They weren't dritz, I don't know what they were but they wouldn't go through fabric well at all. I tried soap and the oil in my hair with no luck. It really confused me why ppl would say how great pinning is, I nearly bruised my fingers trying to get the darn things through and it took forever! Then I got my first set of dritz pins and low and behold, magic. The pins just glide through and I found the pinning love. Sometimes I'll run into trouble if a cotton PF has too much fabric in a bunch but usually I have no trouble at all and it's like a hot knife through butter with the BV. So it could be your pins, good pins can make a huge difference.
Hm. Yeah mine aren't Dritz. I've heard good things about them, though, definitely.

I think I may stick w/ snappis though. I LOVE how cute pins look... but it's just impossible for me to get it as tight as I can w/ a snappi. The diaper doesn't fall off... but the legs are too gape-y for my taste (and DD's #2s aren't all that solid lately... but I don't want one to fall out of her leg or anything ). I just don't know how to get it tight. I've heard of going back and re-pinning the first side after you do the second... but I still have to have my hand in between her and the diaper and that's what "helps" it be loose. How would I get a tight pinned fit while still having my hand in there? I can't do it.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:41 PM   #195
mommysings3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
Hm. Yeah mine aren't Dritz. I've heard good things about them, though, definitely.

I think I may stick w/ snappis though. I LOVE how cute pins look... but it's just impossible for me to get it as tight as I can w/ a snappi. The diaper doesn't fall off... but the legs are too gape-y for my taste (and DD's #2s aren't all that solid lately... but I don't want one to fall out of her leg or anything ). I just don't know how to get it tight. I've heard of going back and re-pinning the first side after you do the second... but I still have to have my hand in between her and the diaper and that's what "helps" it be loose. How would I get a tight pinned fit while still having my hand in there? I can't do it.
You can do it, don't give up yet mama, just use the snappis whenever you are too frustrated to try. I really recommend the dritz or gerber pins and until you can try with those maybe just wait. As for getting the fit I've had to get comfortable with the fact that when I'm putting it on her I'm going to have to make it tight, really tight so that when I take my hand out it's just right. I've never gotten it too tight but I have made it too loose. Also, tucking the legs after it's on good and tight helps with containment. But if you're not enjoying it and snappis make you happy keep going with those.
Jessica, just an every day rebel, Doula, midwife student, writer, homeschooling WAHM to 4, soon to be 5 girls- O- 10, L- 8, H- 6, E- 21 months, and V due 01.14.09 IDSO any Elliebelly colorway on any base.
mommysings3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:40 PM   #196
MamaOf3Cuties
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I haven't posted, but I am LOVING this challenge. We haven't used a snappi since this started, and it's not hard at all. I was able to get it with the first try. I do have to repin still sometimes, but here's some of my efforts. Of course they're with bv and sherpa pf's since that's really all I'm using these days during the day so I guess that's kind of cheating somewhat.

PB&E Molly

BSRB

Old 04-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #197
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsMommy View Post
Roll in the sides to get a nice fit
i tried this and it worked really really well!! thanks!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #198
mommysings3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOf3Cuties View Post
I haven't posted, but I am LOVING this challenge. We haven't used a snappi since this started, and it's not hard at all. I was able to get it with the first try. I do have to repin still sometimes, but here's some of my efforts. Of course they're with bv and sherpa pf's since that's really all I'm using these days during the day so I guess that's kind of cheating somewhat.

PB&E Molly

BSRB

She is so cute! I love her hair.
Jessica, just an every day rebel, Doula, midwife student, writer, homeschooling WAHM to 4, soon to be 5 girls- O- 10, L- 8, H- 6, E- 21 months, and V due 01.14.09 IDSO any Elliebelly colorway on any base.
mommysings3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #199
MOmom
Registered Users
seller

So I just read through nearly all the post. My computer loads so slowly that I hadn't been able to follow everyone's progress but I've been trying to practice my pinning as well. I could never get the pinned cpf to stay up on my toddler so I'm practicing on my newborn hoping that by the time she's mobile I'll have skills Before the challenge I was pinning with one pin across the front but I've been trying to do 2 this week. I'm using jamtot hemp prefolds and the smalls are getting too small to use one pin so I need to learn to use 2 quick!

Without realizing it I've been pinning in reverse. Everyone's pictures of a front pinned baby has the pin headed pointed towards the hip while mine face each other towards her crotch. Also everyone's go straight across and mine point downwards. The dipe is nice and tight but I don't create enough of a leg gusset to catch the poop and I've had some leakage on to my covers from the thighs.

I need to snap a pic soon!
MOmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #200
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

i noticed that too about the pins. i thought i had heard somewhere to point the pins towards their hips IF they came undone then theyd poke them there and not their legs/"parts"... so thats what ive always done.

i dont think it really matters how you pin as long as the poo catcher catches the poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOmom View Post
So I just read through nearly all the post. My computer loads so slowly that I hadn't been able to follow everyone's progress but I've been trying to practice my pinning as well. I could never get the pinned cpf to stay up on my toddler so I'm practicing on my newborn hoping that by the time she's mobile I'll have skills Before the challenge I was pinning with one pin across the front but I've been trying to do 2 this week. I'm using jamtot hemp prefolds and the smalls are getting too small to use one pin so I need to learn to use 2 quick!

Without realizing it I've been pinning in reverse. Everyone's pictures of a front pinned baby has the pin headed pointed towards the hip while mine face each other towards her crotch. Also everyone's go straight across and mine point downwards. The dipe is nice and tight but I don't create enough of a leg gusset to catch the poop and I've had some leakage on to my covers from the thighs.

I need to snap a pic soon!