Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Now do we have thrush?????

I went to change my baby's diaper today and noticed a few spots of something in the top of his mouth. Now just before I laid him down he burped pretty big, but I didn't notice anything coming out of his mouth. He hadn't eaten in a while. Sometimes when he burps up and hasn't eaten in a while, his spit up is sort of, well for lack of a better word, "cheesy" looking. That is what these places looked like on the top of his mouth. So, now I'm not sure if it was just spit up or if it is thrush. Any ideas? What should I watch for if it is thrush? Will it come back after eating or after his nap?

Advertisement

*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Now do we have thrush?????

The spots caused by thrush can't be wiped away. If you can wipe it off, its probably just milk spots or spit up. With both my girls the spots from thrush were on the insides of the cheeks and around the lips and didn't go away between feedings or after spitting up or anything.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
christinelynne
Registered Users
seller

Re: Now do we have thrush?????

My midwife pointed out to me that newborns can have white spots on the roof of the mouth - my kid had just the one, but yeah, I would have thought it was thrush had she not noted it.

Are you feeling any soreness? Is the babe fussy at the breast or acting like he's in pain? I'd say if neither of you have pain, then it's probably not thrush. You can always take some thrush precautions like letting your nipples dry and air out, washing bras in hot water, not reusing towels, and boiling nipples and pump parts if you are concerned, and then see how it goes.
christinelynne is offline   Reply With Quote