Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #1
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:
Question Are 3D/4D ultrasounds worth the extra money?

I have the option to get a 4D ultrasound at 29-30 weeks through my OB's office. We are trying to decide if it's really worth the extra money, as packages range from $150-$200 depending on what you want. They include picture albums and DVD's.

I know it's a novelty, and we don't have a TON of extra money, but I think we could swing it if we really wanted to. I just wonder if you think it's worth the money? This is my last baby in the forseeable future (knock on wood!) so I won't have the option again.

What would you do?

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #2
isabel249
Registered Users
seller

Re: Are 3D/4D ultrasounds worth the extra money?

We had a 3d/4d scan done. Ours was $120 at our local hospital. We really enjoyed it. We got to see more of what she would really look like. It was really cute. She smiled and yawned and it was a memory I won't forget

I would recommend it!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm leary of ultrasounds as it is, I definately wouldn't get such a high frequency u/s.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
amphibology29
Registered Users
seller

The FDA, which regulates ultrasound technology, recommends against any medically unnecessary ultrasounds. Since your doctor is merely offering this, as opposed to recommending or requiring it, it sounds like this qualifies as medically unnecessary.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
AmyCivic80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My OB office does 3D and 4D ultrasounds as part of the regular ultrasounds you get in the office. We only got pictures, not a DVD, but it was pretty incredible.

I don't think I would have paid the extra money to do it, but since it was part of the regular ultrasound it was awesome.
Amy, wife to Greg and proud mommy to Cailin Avery (5/6/07), Kylie Elise (12/20/08), and baby #3 (due 10/11/11).
AmyCivic80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #6
Mom2KG
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the 2 pp about not exposing your baby to an u/s unless absolutely medically necessary. I know its tempting and we all want to get a look at our babies but a 4d u/s is a much higher frequency than your normal diagnostic u/s. There have been no long term studies done on them and their effects and most respectable professionals (including the person who invented the u/s) and organizations strongly recommend against u/s done for purposes outside of medical necessity.
Mom2KG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #7
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I would not do it and maybe take the money you were going to spend and have some really nice photographs taken and printed after your baby is here and in your arms. :-)
Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't. There is some question as to the safety of them anyway. And you're only thinking about it for enjoyment reasons, not to look for or diagnose a complication.
Additionally, while I like knowing the gender of my child ahead of time, I think part of the thrill of the birth day is seeing what your child looks like for the first time. I think the 3D ultrasounds kind of ruin some of that.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM   #9
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had one with DD2 and it was really cool - I got some pics...mine was for medical reasons since she wasn't growing like she was supposed to and they wanted to look at her closer. She is just fine. Now I haven't had a 3D this time with the twins but I have had frequent (every 2-3 weeks) regular US. I liked the 3D since you could really see the baby better but she just looked like a monkey to me It was much cooler to see her for real when she was born and get infant photos taken
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

I had one done, and yes - I thought it was worth it. I would recommend it to anyone who was interested. And, asked about it.

Our was about 200 bucks (we added on an extra CD of ALL the pictures they took for 20 bucks).

I read all the information out there on ultrasounds, and I felt comfortable with my decision. I realize it's not for everyone. It is just for fun, but I thought it was super RAD.

As silly as this sounds ever since the US I've been really 'connecting' with him more. Like, I knew obviously I was carrying a child, but I never really felt excited about it until that US. Now, I am totally stoked out of my mind! But, that was just ME! Of course, it's not like that w/everyone. Just sharing MY own experience.