Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
charitycase20
Registered Users

My Mood:
BFing Help (Supply maybe)

Hi Mamas:
I am soliciting help for my step-sister. My nephew is 5 weeks old and mama is breastfeeding. She didn't nurse his older brother because it was painful for her so she FF. This time around she really wanted to BF so I told her I would help her however I could. I was there after he was born and he had a decent latch but I had to go out of town and i don't know what happened after that. Fast forward to yesterday, she is still using a shield and he wanted to be latched on all afternoon. But she says he falls asleep and that's why he wants to nurse all the time. On the other hand, he hasn't had a BM in 4 days. I want to get mad and tell her to lose the shield because i feel that it is not helping her supply and he just kept popping on and off it yesterday afternoon like a bottle almost but I don't want her to get upset and quit BFing. She goes back to work next week and wants to pump for bottles but I don't see how she's gonna maintain any kind of supply when she doesn't nurse that often now. Last week she took babe to the doctor for HepB shot and they were gone all day..he nursed once. I don't think he's making up for it at night either. I'm just heartsick over the situation, and I'm considering offering up some of my freezer stash to help her get through the first week of pumping. Can anyone offer any advice?

The ped doesn't seem to be concerned with weight gain but I just feel something isn't right. Part of me wanted to latch him on yesterday after Zach fell asleep just to see how he did without the shield but I didn't want her to freak out...She's kinda antsy about things like that. Sorry this is so long. But thanks for reading.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
charitycase20
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: BFing Help (Supply maybe)

Does anyone have some advice I could pass on?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
emilysvenson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you be more specific about what's worrying you?

How is the baby's weight gain? Wet diapers? Typical nursing schedule?

I can understand that it would probably be better to phase out the shield. But other than that, what's the concern?

Just trying to understand better.

FWIW, I think it's good you refrained from trying to nurse the baby yourself. I'm not uptight about that stuff, but I'd be angry if someone nursed my baby without my consent.

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
daisyterp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not completely abnormal for a bf'd baby to go a few days w/o a BM at that age. I freaked out a little when my DD stopped having the frequent NB bm's but now she will sometimes go a day or 2 w/o having one and then have 3 in 1 day.

I think she needs to try nursing w/o the shield- sounds like she is afraid to nurse w/o it because of the painful experience she had last time.
Is she supplementing?
Is she feeding him EBM from a bottle?
I don't know how she could go all day w/ only feeding him one time???
She needs to nurse him on demand.
Also as far as him falling asleep on the boob- is he still eating while he is asleep?
my DD eats while sleeping- in fact before she STTN she wouldn't even really wake up for her 4 am feed- she would just fuss in her sleep, I would scoop her up and she would "dream feed."

good luck to you and to her!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
charitycase20
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysvenson View Post
Can you be more specific about what's worrying you?

How is the baby's weight gain? Wet diapers? Typical nursing schedule?

I can understand that it would probably be better to phase out the shield. But other than that, what's the concern?

Just trying to understand better.

FWIW, I think it's good you refrained from trying to nurse the baby yourself. I'm not uptight about that stuff, but I'd be angry if someone nursed my baby without my consent.
Thanks mama-I don't think her ped is worried about chippers weight gain but SS says he wants to nurse constantly but then in the same breath she says he falls asleep while nursing, i told her not to worry about the BM situation cause my DD only went once per week before solids. She says when she pumps she only gets 2 oz. at a time but I told her that he was better at removing the milk than a pump was. Maybe I'm just stressing but I feel like something just isn't right..YKWM. I'm just afraid that when she goes back to work next week and pumps, when she's with him the shield isn't going to help keep up her supply.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
emilysvenson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, hard to say... There's such a range of normal as far as sleepiness, weight gain, etc.

I think if I were you, I'd focus on encouraging her to try to wean off the nipple shield. Here's some info on that: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

Also, here's some info on waking sleepy babies:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T024800.asp

I know it can be hard... I had a family member who I was very worried about, and it's hard to let go and let them figure it out on their own. You can provide support, but my opinion is that your step-sister needs to find her own way with her own baby.

Good luck!

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
1sttimemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only info I can offer is a friend of mine had an issue w/ baby falling asleep during nursing... they told her to undress him, rub a cool wash cloth on his chest, tickle his feet... anything to keep him awake...
1sttimemommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

My dd did the same thing with sleeping and BM's. She would go about that long before having one and then WATCH out it was everywhere! LOL
As for sleeping she was like the pp said where she'd barely wake to feed especially in the night time. She'd just suck while she slept. I did have to undress her several times and even make her mad sometimes just to get her to nurse. It's hard to do that to baby but it was what was best for her!! I'd def. get her to read some on www.kellymom.com if she will. I know lots of mommas that WONT look up the information and that kills me. OT I know! LOL

Hope she hangs in there.