Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Doula Recommendations for San Antonio Area??

We are considering hiring a doula, and actually my OB told me they are really wonderful during labor and delivery I know they are kinda pricey, but we have no family and are running into problems getting everyone else's schedule planned around the baby's My family is in SD, and in laws are in AL and can only have limited time off work. The most important part is I know I will need the help and support of someone who is on my side during labor, and I know I'm going to need help with breastfeeding. It didnt work last time because I didnt go get help enough, and I didnt know who to get help from! Not to mention being discouraged by family members. My mother is now a nursing student and thinks she knows everything there is to know about having children. She has told me that I need to rethink not getting an episiotomy, because tearing is SOOO much worse. I had BOTH last time, and my incision site is still painful. I have no idea where I tore (which was in several places!) She then told me today that I should allow the baby to be given glucose water, because otherwise his blood sugar will drop very low and he will have convulsions I was pretty sure they only gave babies that in the nursery because they were crying? That is all another thread though... I need someone to be able to stick up for me if the staff wants to ignore what I want, and though I know my mother would die for the chance to argue with the doctors or nurses, I dont think she would really honor everything that I want. My husband would just rather go with whatever the Dr. says.

Didnt mean to write a novel I could use some suggestions/recommendations for a good doula in the area though I have looked online, but I would like to hear of good experiences from real people. Thanks!!

Proud AF wife, birth & postpartum doula, happy to be a SAHM to my 2 sweet boys, L (3yo) and D (2yo), and surprise! due March 2011!
logansmomma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Doula Recommendations for San Antonio Area??

I am in SA too! I know a couple people in my playgroup that have talked about becoming doulas, but I don't think any of them have actually done it yet....
Kim, Momma to Jackson (3.6.06) and Zachary ( 9/24/08) and creator of Rockin' Green cloth diaper detergent
Kimbokarrie is offline   Reply With Quote