Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy BF'd DD No #2 for 1 wk - HELP!

Okay - so my 3 month old has continually been going several days w/ out pooping and the doctors said diluted prune juice, but that her not going for 3-4 days was relatively normal, being breastfed & all. Well, it has now been 7 days and I get stuck on hold or hung up on when I call the docs and they usually give me the prune juice speech again. BUT.... the prune juice isn't working, her belly is a hard, and she's getting very fussy / uncomfortable like. Has this happened to anyone else b4? What did you do to help things along? She's never been truly constipated, as her stools are always still loose loose loose, but when she goes, it's like she strains soooo hard to go, even though it's all liquid.... i just hate seeing her clench up and cry in pain like this..... it goes from one xtreme to the other tho, laughing one minute to screaming the next......... HELP!!!!!

Advertisement

Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Sparkle1896
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: BF'd DD No #2 for 1 wk - HELP!

This happened to my son a lot when he was a baby. We took his temperature rectally. I know it sounds weird but it usually helped. We had to take him to the ER one time because of constipation problems and that's all the doctor did. My dr's nurse said karo syrup. Never tried that. Don't know if it's an old wives tale. Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried glycerin suppositories?
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've tried the temperature thing - they said to do that too - - and.... NOTHING.. I've heard the Karo syrup - mix it w/ some "momma juice" as we call it around here. But haven't tried it... sounds harsh.. but may have 2...
Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD went as much as 10 days once. We gave her 1/2 oz prune juice with 1/2 oz water every day.

Finally we got some infant glycerin suppositories, cut them in half lengthwise, and prepared for the mess that ensued. It is a time to use a sposie if there ever was one! It worked in under 15 minutes and she didn't even cry.

My doc did it once with a thermometer, but she had to play around in there for awhile and that makes me nervous.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

I thought Karo syrup could have botulism in it. I wouldn't go for that one.

I'd go the rectal thermometer route. (no pun intended)

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, b4 they told me not to do the suppository thing, but I'm gonna call and specifically ask if I can tomorrow. She's just pitiful at some points. Thanks for the talk yall, needed to hear that my DD wasn't the only one out there w/ issues like this sometimes. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
kathteach
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DS is 6 months, no solids yet, and sometimes goes for as long as 14 days w/o pooping. However his belly is soft and he's not distressed about it. My dr. said the suppositories were okay. We used one once, I made my husband do it because I felt like I'd be torturing the little guy, but it did not cause him pain and worked really fast. I think the bad thing about suppositories if is you use them on a regular basis because that could mess up their natural ability to poo, you know? Also about the straining face, I've heard that's pretty normal and while it looks bad as long as the stools aren't hard like rabbit poops it's okay. The belly hardness is not good though.

Keep us updated, I know it is stressful.
kathteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
nathansmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post
My DS is 6 months, no solids yet, and sometimes goes for as long as 14 days w/o pooping. However his belly is soft and he's not distressed about it. My dr. said the suppositories were okay. We used one once, I made my husband do it because I felt like I'd be torturing the little guy, but it did not cause him pain and worked really fast. I think the bad thing about suppositories if is you use them on a regular basis because that could mess up their natural ability to poo, you know? Also about the straining face, I've heard that's pretty normal and while it looks bad as long as the stools aren't hard like rabbit poops it's okay. The belly hardness is not good though.

Keep us updated, I know it is stressful.
Yeah this. It is normal for breastfed babies to go longer between bowel movements because breastmilk is easily digested.

I think my son went 11 days once. Not problems going when it came time and was just fine.

Give her some time.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #10
Cadensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Clara is a once a week pooper, but she has gone as long as 11 days once! but she was not in pain i just let her body do its thing.
if she is in pain i would try the suppository's
Clarissa