Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:42 PM   #21
Megazell's Chick
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: BF'd DD No #2 for 1 wk - HELP!

Originally Posted by BebeBlu View Post
I did hear also from a friend that if Babe isn't getting enough nutrition - using up all the milk - they won't go poo.
It is not so much that they are not getting enough nutrition but with an EBF baby, breastmilk is easily digested by the body and therefore there is little waste left over. So as a result they poop less.

My DD would go 4-5 days between bowl movements when she was an infant, now that she is 15 months and eating solids she poops at least 3-4 time a day. Almost makes you want to turn back the clock....

Megazell's Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by BoysMama View Post
I have never hear that Karo syrup could have botulism in it but I does work. I always just put a little in a bottle with some water. It doesn't take very much (like maybe a teaspoon) It works quickly and gently.
From the Karo Syrup website

Should Karo syrup be used for infant feeding?

We are aware that some health care professionals suggest feeding Karo syrup to infants in a formula or for relief of constipation. Because corn syrup, like many other foods is not a sterile product, there is a remote possibility that it may contain C. botulinum spores.

These spores are common in the environment and generally not harmful to older children and adults. In fact, in the FDA study conducted in 1991, corn syrup and other syrups are not identified as food sources of C. botulinum spores for infants.

However, because Karo is not specifically intended for infant feeding, we suggest you consult your pediatrician for advice.

Im not sure why physicians would suggest Karo Syrup for something when even the makers suggest not feeding to an infant
Mama to 4 girls ages 8,6,4 and 20 mths.
SmileyMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #23
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by goldmama22 View Post
I thought Karo syrup could have botulism in it. I wouldn't go for that one.

I'd go the rectal thermometer route. (no pun intended)

KARO syrup can have botulism in it (just like honey), don't give it to infants under 1yo

I had dd go 14 days without at least once and 10 days regularly while she was ebf
the lactation consultant said its impossible for a ebf baby to become constipated
ISO XS maternity clothing, EC items, Pagan/Celtic theme baby items, washable nursing pads, size 32 nursing bras
litlepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:32 AM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:

I can't imagine!!! All of my EBF babies went like 3-4 times a day since they were born! Even my constipation-prone-because-she-has-Spina-Bifida-baby pooped like a champ!

I hope she gets into some kind of regular pattern for you mama! I hate seeing babies in pain when there is nothing you can do for them! GL!
Brea: SAHM to (N)12/07, (P, my SB baby)7/00, and(D)6/97 and wife to(M)8/95.
mythreemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:54 AM   #25
Keepin' it Crunchy!
My Mood:

Dd poops once every ten to twelve. It's been like that since she was about 2 and a half months. As long as their stools are liquidy they are fine. Breastmilk has very little wasted material to pass out the other end, and babies at that age are straining because they are still figuring out how to unclench their rectal muscles and push at the same time. It takes a while for them to figure out how to poop easily.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote