Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Users
Dh is finally supportive of uc!

I am so excited it has been a long road for both of us to get here. I started wanting an uc or at least a hb with our second, but I had so many complications with our first that it made dh very nervous. However all my complications were pregnancy related and ds' birth even at 33 weeks was fine. So after lots of long talks, listening and answering all of his concerns and lots of trust by him in myself and my body, we are now planning an uc! I also had a fairly fast labor with our last one and he fully acknowledges the mw might not even make it if we planned on having her come, so we would have to prepare to uc any way.
So we had been planning a mw assisted hb. Now I have to figure out how to talk to her about our changes in plans. I have an appointment with her next Monday. Also we are struggling with whether or not the insurance will pay for her, out of network provider garbage. Any way if not she charges $2700, which dh and I had both agreed we'd figure out some way to pay, but now that she's not doing the birth we feel it'd would be too much to shell out. I'm not sure if I could ask her to lessen her fee to just prenatals and postpartum or not. So probably if insurance won't pay for her then we will go back to the hospital midwives, my favorite one is now gone. I like having the hb mw because I feel like if I decide I need her I can still have her, or if I tear I could have her come repair me instead of having to go to the hospital. I'm not sure how receptive or not she will be about uc and I'm not really sure how to bring up the idea and ask about the money thing. I have only had my interview appt with her so far, I'm 13 weeks right now. Thanks for any advice, ideas and support!! I'm still so to be getting my uc!

M. wife to my fireman and mommy to
three beautiful boys: 11/04 4/07 and 10/08
And our long awaited baby girl coming this fall!
BlessedwithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Dh is finally supportive of uc!

Congratulations! I am also planning a UC (my second), and I have a hb m/w. Her fee is $3k, but it's completely worth it to me. Our insurance may pay for some of it, but even if they don't it's ok. She is fully aware of my UC plans and is very supportive.

Maybe when you talk to your m/w about UC, you could approach it as though you are not sure she would make it since you had such a fast labor last time, and you'd like to be prepared to have the baby unassisted, so she knows it's on your mind. See how she feels about that. I doubt she would lessen her fee though.
Meghan SAHM to DD#1 8/04 DD#2 8/06 and DD#3 9/08
Clearing out my stash!
Meghan's MishMash: Breastfeeding/AP Apparel and Bumper Stickers
boobyfeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Dh is finally supportive of uc!

A friend of mine who had her last baby UC was seeing birth center midwives. They were quite offended that she gave birth without their assistance or permission! I think the hb m/w might be more understanding.
~Sara~ Mom to: Makaela Rae 1/6/01 Alanna Bree 12/12/03 and Eain Michael 2/3/06 Wife to Nailfoot (of eBay and LoL) for 12 years. Homeschooling, Cloth Diapering, Unassisted Pregnancy and Birthing SAHM
babyholic is offline   Reply With Quote