Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Docs Wife
Registered Users
Formerly: swags
seller

My Mood:
Help! 7 month old Biting!

My 7 month old has started biting. So I tell him "No Biting!" I did this twice and now he wont eat. He is fussy and tired but wont nurse to fall asleep . I hate seeing him like this what can I do? Should I not have told him no?

Advertisement

Docs Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help! 7 month old Biting!

I would just keep offering. I don't think you shouldn't have told him no but it sounds like he got the wrong idea. Maybe try a different nursing location from where you told him no. Try to be relaxed and speak sweetly or sing to him - he is certainly old enough to pick up on it if you're tense or stressed about the possibility of him biting. Some skin-to-skin contact could help him feel more secure again, too.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
Docs Wife
Registered Users
Formerly: swags
seller

My Mood:

I am really surprised he reacted like this, I didnt even think he knew what "no" means. We dont usually tell him "no" we redirect. I did use a firm voice but not "mean". He still hasnt given in and nursed, although he is sleeping now after being rocked and sining his "calm down songs"

The other thing I thought about it I just got my first PP AF last night, could that have something to do with it?
Docs Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
christinelynne
Registered Users
seller

It's common for babies to start a nursing strike after a biting incident, whether mom says "No," or just "Ow!" You did nothing wrong, just started teaching him that he isn't allowed to hurt you.

Try sneaking him some bf when he is sleepy. You also might try stimulating a let down/expressing so the milk is right there when the nipple touches his lips. Other ideas are nursing in the bath or while standing/moving. Anything to do it a bit differently.

FWIW, most mamas I've talked to find pulling baby in to the breast to cover the nose, so they have to open their mouths, is the best way to save their nipples and teach baby not to bite. So if he gets you in the future, you could try that.
christinelynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #5
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How's your little one doing?