Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Lump on side of breast = clogged duct?

My milk came in yesterday and since it has there has been this lump on the right side of my right breast. It doesn't hurt or anything but it is noticable. I have tried massaging it but it doesn't go away. I've never had this before so I'm not sure what it is. Anyone have any idea? What can I do to get rid of it - its about two fingertips in size (thats what I massage with and it covers the whole thing). Its not affecting my supply or anything so I'm not too concerned just wondering what it is. I am thinking of asking my OB tomorrow at my apt (checking my incision) but I don't even know if OBs know anything about breastfeeding. Hopefully someone here will know. Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Mommy Syd
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Lump on side of breast = clogged duct?

Hi Ericka-Congrats on your LO! I have lumps in my breasts when I am encourged w/milk. The lumps go down after I nurse. W/your LO being so new you will probably have the lumps for a little while as he is not "emptying" your breast at each nursing. HTHs!

Take care!
Mommy Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
breelovel
Registered Users
seller

Yes a good OB should be knowledgeable of breasts/breastfeeding. Mention it. Keep massaging and warm compresses before feeding cold after feeding. It could just be a simple and passing clogged duct, but keep an eye on it. The general rule is that a clogged duct should resolve within 48 hours of warm/cold treatments. If not, bring it up to your OB again. It's likely no big deal, but you always want to rule out the possibility of an abscess. (I had one that ended in surgery so I'm very cautious about this).Good luck!!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
Jaymz
Registered Users
seller

I had a lump in my breast that couldn't be massaged out. It turned out to be an abscess. But it was extremely painful and the skin on my breast was very red. So if yours doesn't hurt and you're not seeing any redness, my guess is it is more likely a clogged duct. Hope your OB helps you figure it out!
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:34 AM   #5
Kabloona
Registered Users
seller

I had the same thing. Eventually, it caused extreme pain up into my armpit and I would cry as my LO fed. When my LO seemed to be finished feeding, I applied a warm cloth to the lump and a whole lot more milk came out. The next feed, she didn't want any more milk, so I applied the warm cloth and pumped the extra milk out. That solved it.

Best of luck
Kabloona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Cyann
Registered Users
seller

Probably a plugged duct. Definitely try to get rid of it however possible; if left untreated, it can lead to really bad breast pain and/or mastitis. Have your little one nurse on that side as often as possible (starting every feeding on that side isn't a bad idea), and try massages. Expressing milk in any other way you can, as often as you can, is recommended if it gets any worse. You can also use warm compresses prior to nursing, or try hand-expressing in a warm shower, to get the milk flowing better.
Cyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was just engorged I think! He has been eating constantly today and now it is gone. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.