Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
Shaysbabygirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can someone please explain wool to me?

LOL!
I know that probably sounds crazy, but I'm clueless. I guess I just don't understand, because it's so HOT! We live in Central Texas and i just cannot fathom putting wool on my daughter.

Maybe it's because I don't understand it at all. I'm still pretty new to this whole cd thing, and so I don't understand why to use it. also, i have had a lot of wool sweaters in my day, and they're itchy and hot, and have to be dry cleaned or they'll shrink...

So, can you tell I'm a rookie? Please, someone, give me the ins and outs of wool! Share your wealth of knowledge

Thanks so much!
Shay

Advertisement

Shaysbabygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Can someone please explain wool to me?

Well, wool can definitely keep you warm, and I don't think I'd use longies in a warm climate. But, wool is a natural fiber and breathes - like cotton breathes. So, as your baby's bum gets warm, the wool allows air to circulate. PUL on the other hand keeps all of the heat in which could be uncomfortable or rash causing in a warm climate.

Wool has to be hand washed (well, there are some covers that don't have to be), but does not have to be dry cleaned.

As for itchy - I can't even begin to describe to you the feel of some of the wool yarns that you can use to make soakers (knit/crocheted wool covers). Some are so incredibly soft that you would almost think they were silk or something more like that.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #3
Mrs Dimples
Registered Users

I'm new here, but not new to wool.

Think of it like this: you wouldn't wear a wool sweater in the summer, sure - but if you HAD to wear something waterproof (or water-resistant), would you rather wear wool or plastic? Wool can be warm, but at least it's breathable. Plastic (or PUL, vinyl, whatever) just traps all the heat and moisture inside and makes their little butts all sweaty.

And I think it's actually easier to care for wool than anything else. You don't have to remember to snatch it out of the load before you put it in the dryer, you don't wash it often so I find it stays newer longer, since it doesn't go in the wash with the dipes (I use prefolds) it doesn't get the pillies all over it...

And it doesn't seem possible how it can both absorb liquid from the dipes but keep it off your clothes...but it DOES! It's SO cool, really, you just have to see it in action. And some wool is itchy, no doubt, but some is SO soft! I always test it on my face, and if it itches my face (which is really sensitive) then I won't put it on my baby.
Mrs Dimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
MomsHelpingMoms
Registered Users
Formerly: teresaarrington
seller

I would love to try wool too , but to be fair, I make and use PUL dipes and swear by them. I live in sunny Southern California and my daughter's butt has never seemed sweaty or overly hot??? The microfleece is against her skin and she seems very comfy. The plastic is not up against her skin at all, and the fleece rolls out at the legs so air can circulate if the diaper is constructed well. I think it is all a matter of taste and preference.

Miley Rae was born July 29, 2008 6lb3oz 19"
MomsHelpingMoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Shaysbabygirls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies!
So, do you use wool over an AIO? or prefolds? What do you wear it over? LOL!
Shaysbabygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
tncmomma
Registered Users

You can put it over a fitted or a prefold or even use a wool-in-one. I love wool because it is so easy to care for. I prefer covers to soakers but that is just me. My advise would be to give it a try and if you don't like it sell it. The first wool I got was off the TP and I just fell in love.
tncmomma is offline   Reply With Quote