Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
EmmieSuesbabyboutique
Registered Users
Formerly: heyfire
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question BF baby with reflux

I am asking this for my neice. She has a 10 week old with reflex, she is on meds. Anyone have any words of wisdom for her? She is haveing a hard time and does not want to stop BF, but the LO is struggling bad.
Thanks bunches

Advertisement

10% off for a limited time. http://www.lenabrowndesings.com for all your knitting and crochet needle cases

Last edited by EmmieSuesbabyboutique; 04-28-2008 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fix a word
EmmieSuesbabyboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: BF baby with reflex

Make sure the babe is on medication that is actually working. They always start them on Zantac. If this doesn't work they have others that work better (for more extreme cases). This is what we had to do with my son.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She may want to try an elimination diet, the baby may be sensitive to something she's eating.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
cmr
Registered Users

My son had reflex/gurd I nursed him for a year. He was on med's, but still "spit up" all the time, any and everywhere. I just stuck with it and cleaned up the messes. Best of luck.
cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I can say I have been there. First she needs to make sure the baby sits up at least 30 min after a feed. Frequent burping. Keep an eye on the meds. What is she on Reglan can cause neuro problems, trust me I know.... seen it
My daughter actually ahs a VERY BAD milk allergy.. protien even BM. She was so bad she had to have surgery and now has a feeding tube in place. I know that sounds scary,but, she was an extreme case. She was so bad, she was dehydrated and in the hospital 3 times in 2 weeks because she ws keeping nothing down and loosing weight. THis can be a scary deal, your niece just needs to keep a close eye on her. If you have questions please PM me to you and your niece.
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #6
pmills4
Registered Users

My dd has Reflux really bad. Her ped told me to put her to sleep in her carseat after she eats. It keeps her in the upright position and she does not spit up as much as if she were laying on her back. A swing works good too. Anything as long as they are in the upright position. The LO should be having regular checkups and as long as she is gaining weight there is no reason to be concerned. My DD still spits up on a regular basis but she is gaining weight very well so there is no reason to be concerned. She can also talk to the doc about changing her meds. Even on meds though they tend to still spit up.
pmills4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
imamama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to echo that having the Dr. follow the LO closely is so important. My son also had a reflux-like condition that required surgery and thankfully his Dr. was right on top of it and he didn't suffer long with the problem before she diagnosed it.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS is on Zantac for his reflux and is actually gaining weight VERY slowly. He's being closely monitored for his weight right now because he spits up so much. Has your niece been able to pin point anything she's eating that makes it worse? Dairy is a huge culprit. I can't eat dairy as it increases DS's spitting up big time.

Tell your niece to just keep with it. Breastfeeding is the best thing for a baby with reflux.
ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm.thomas View Post
Tell your niece to just keep with it. Breastfeeding is the best thing for a baby with reflux.

Definitely move on to a new med if what she's using isn't working.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Yep I was there too. We did rounds of Zantac and Reglan. I was told to nurse her as much as she wanted EVEN if it made her sick because she would just do it to soothe her belly. I did and I got thrown up on SOOO many times. It's really hard but it does usually get better around 3-6months. The swing was my BEST FRIEND during my dd's reflux time. Also remember that spitting up and Projectile Vomiting are two different things. Most babies DO spit up even alot but the Projectile vomiting is what you need to watch for. Also one thing that really helped me was: I was told that even though it looks like a ton of spit up if you take a tablespoon of water and spill it it looks like quite a bit too. So don't freak out because you think they're not keeping anything down!! That made me feel better!!

As for continuing to bf. I never changed my diet, I didn't know that would help, not one of her peds. ever told me that and I didn't do as much research then as I do now!! Anyway cutting back on dairy is supposed to help so maybe she could try it. Remember though it takes 3-4 weeks to get anything out of your system so it may take awhile to see it actually help. GL I also agree that bf is the BEST thing for a baby with reflux, it's soothing to them to nurse evne in they're sleep!! ((hugs)) to her!