Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
YOUCH! top teeth came in and now bfing HURTS

My lo is is 10 months old, he doesn't take a bottle (he did occasionally, but started refusing completely at 6 months) he also hasn't really figured out a sippy cup. I was fine with all of this, but now his top teeth have come in and though I'm not getting bitten exactly, I am getting scraped and bfing now HURTS.

I don't know what's going on, I think I have a good latch, but since those top teeth came through, it's very uncomfortable. I've tried relatching him because sometimes it's ok but can't seem to get it right.

I'm also frustrated because I wanted to go the year and I wanted to love it, but I'm frustrated that I can't ever be away from him for longer than a couple of hours (I am in dire need of a root canal and a filling that means I would be gone 4+ hours and I have an out of town conference I should attend in July) and now bfing is miserable too.

I now many of you have breastfed long past the getting teeth point, if anyone's got tips or advice, I'd love to hear them.

Advertisement

Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Cyann
Registered Users
seller

Re: YOUCH! top teeth came in and now bfing HURTS

With regards to the frequent nursing situation, does your little one take solids yet? If he does, you can probably get through a short absence by just having him eat solids instead. You could also consider trying a straw cup -- my son got the hang of one of those several months earlier than the regular kind of sippy.

As for the teeth -- I went through a similar thing when my son's top teeth first came in. It did go away, but there were a couple of very bad "throw the kid out the window" sort of days in there. Do keep trying to get the latch right from the outset -- the less you allow him to nurse "badly", the faster he'll get over it. And if he ever deliberately bites (even just a little) or scrapes while unlatching, immediately take him off the breast and turn him away from you or set him down for a few seconds while saying something like "nurse nicely" or "no biting". If he persists, end the nursing session and try again in half an hour or so. Doing this is not fun for anybody, but it does usually work within a day or two, in my experience.

Best of luck.
Cyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm wondering about this too, since my LO seems to be getting his teeth early - he's got two lowers now at only 4 months - so it stands to reason that he may have opposing teeth early. At 10 months would a baby understand, or learn, to "nurse nicely"? At what point do you think my LO could start to grasp that. He already likes to tug at my nipple alot, and now when he does he loses that latch a little and those bottom teeth can scrape me. I've got a long way to go and want to keep nursing a happy experience for both of us...
Old 04-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #4
ButterflyChicBoutique
Registered Users

My 2nd drank from a straw before a sippy cup! Try it!

Also, have you tried a soft spout sippy cup? Great for those just learning Nuby makes some that are WONDERFUL and cheap!

To get my 1st to stop biting, I would take the breast away that's all it took, he got the picture.

With my 2nd that didn't work, a little flick or pop didn't work. I would pull him to me when he bit, burring his face in me breast, he would let go to breathe (that sounds bad...it's not really, it takes like 1/2 a sec, not like I was tring to smother him)

It worked, didn't hurt him, didn't hurt his feeling, took about 3 days until he got the picture
ButterflyChicBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
RJmomof4
Registered Users
Formerly: RJmomof2
seller

My Mood:

my 10 month old now has his top and bottom teeth he likes to bite and then he laughs when I cringe.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

mama. the top teeth take some getting used to.

my poor girlfriend had an open wound on one of her nipples for a month before it scabbed over. as soon as it healed, no more pain.

it took me a few weeks to develop my nursing "pads" to the top teeth. now the canines!? that took like two months, ouch.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
Cyann
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat2481 View Post
I'm wondering about this too, since my LO seems to be getting his teeth early - he's got two lowers now at only 4 months - so it stands to reason that he may have opposing teeth early. At 10 months would a baby understand, or learn, to "nurse nicely"? At what point do you think my LO could start to grasp that. He already likes to tug at my nipple alot, and now when he does he loses that latch a little and those bottom teeth can scrape me. I've got a long way to go and want to keep nursing a happy experience for both of us...
At ten months? Definitely. I'm not sure whether a four-month-old could figure it out or not.
Cyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
jason&jilliansmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your nipples will toughen up. Make sure you have a good latch, and you will get used to the teeth. My dd left teeth marks in me, but after awhile I didn't even feel it.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason&jilliansmama View Post
Your nipples will toughen up. Make sure you have a good latch, and you will get used to the teeth. My dd left teeth marks in me, but after awhile I didn't even feel it.
how long does it take?
we've been at it for at least a month now
Old 04-27-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
MamaMary920
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the throws of the same thing. I've had the scraping going on for about a month now. Sometimes it's bad, sometimes I don't feel anything. Word on the street is it will pass I'm hoping for the best.
MamaMary920 is offline   Reply With Quote