Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Louisville, KY?

Hi! We just had some random "life" things come up, and there's a possibility that instead of moving to Lincoln, NE, we could end up in Louisville. I guess I would like to know what the city is like. What are good neighborhoods to live in? If we do end up there, I'll be working downtown (is W. Broadway downtown), and DH will be working at the airport. I want to put Ivy in the Waldorf school once she's old enough. How crunchy is it? Farmers markets? Things to do? How is traffic? Are the people nice? I do have more questions (like OBs and peds), but they're a moot point until we know if we're going here or not.

Thanks!!!

Advertisement

Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Re: Louisville, KY?

I can put you in touch with my good friend who lives there if you PM me your real email address. We love the city (it is not quite even 2 hours from us)!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Louisville (said like loo uh ville) is very much a city. I dont live in the Ville (nickname) but I am very close to it (only about 45mins northwest). DH is from there.

There are some crunchy mamas in KY but Im not sure how much of Lousiville is crunchy. I do know that they have Farmers markets because much of Indiana and KY are farm land. Cost of living in the city area is high. FIL lives close to the city and he pays out the rear. I have some family that lives in Prospect (just to the est of Louisville) which is a higher living area but very nice.

There are a few KY area mommies groups out there.
Here is one on Yahoo
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kentuckymommies/

Let me see if I can find the one from the Mommies Network !

If you go here.... and click on KY it will bring up a new window for the cincinatti area and it serves pwrt of KY at well. i would assume that Louisville is part of it since its close but Im not sure. You can tell them that a Charelston Mommies Mod refered you to them !
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kentuckymommies/

Last edited by Indianamom*2; 05-11-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Indianamom*2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
Dandelion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just moved to the area about 3 months ago. We are at Fort Knox. There is a big Whole foods Market up in L-Ville. I went there last week and was like a kid in a candy shop. If only it wasn't an hour away. I haven't had the chance to explore the are much. I've only been up there a handfull of times, mostly for Ultrasounds at the UofL Hospital.

Best of luck with your move!
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in Louisville-I would't say it's a overly crunchy-friendly, but I have found some circles of similarly minded people I moved here from Ohio and have come to really like Louisville. There are farmer's markets- I love spring and summer market season! Some areas have more market's than others. Traffic can be a bear depending on where you live and where you are going- you'll have to watch times if you are working downtown. My husband's working downtown now and he goes to work early to get off a little earlier to avoid traffic. Let me know if you guys are headed this direction!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #6
mosquitobite
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think traffic is relative If you're from a big city, Louisville traffic is cake. (I have a friend who relocated from CA who laughs about locals complaining) My husband worked 40 miles from home and could still get home in less than an hour on most days.

I live right across the river in Southern Indiana. Cost of living is slightly cheaper on the "Sunnyside". Taxes are lower, more sq footage for your money, etc.

Did you end up moving to the area yet Emma? If not, PM me - I do real estate part time (but only on the Indiana side). I'd be happy to send you some listings if you want!
mosquitobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
mosquitobite
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
I just moved to the area about 3 months ago. We are at Fort Knox. There is a big Whole foods Market up in L-Ville. I went there last week and was like a kid in a candy shop. If only it wasn't an hour away. I haven't had the chance to explore the are much. I've only been up there a handfull of times, mostly for Ultrasounds at the UofL Hospital.

Best of luck with your move!
My sister works at Ft Knox (as a civilian) and lives in Brandenburg! I'm not sure if there's one out near you or not, but Rainbow Blossom is another small local health food chain.
mosquitobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
mum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know of at least 3 farmer's markets. Louisville is a great city... I live about 25 mins east but spend lots of time there, church ect... good luck!
mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitobite View Post
My sister works at Ft Knox (as a civilian) and lives in Brandenburg! I'm not sure if there's one out near you or not, but Rainbow Blossom is another small local health food chain.
YEs, Rainbow Blossom is like Whole Foods or Earth Fare. There is on in New Albany somewhere nut I have yet to find it, I cant figure out where Charlestown Crossing is ! lol
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #10
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

I believe Emma just moved to Nebraska - if I read a PM right the other day

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote