Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #1
punkmama3
Registered Users

Overactive letdown

I have overactive letdown, and I was wondering: DOes it ever stop? I had been doing everything to get it to slow down (2 weeks of the nursing uphill stuff) and after about 2 days of switching back to the cradle hold, my daughter is making the clicking noises again. As well as choking. Did we just need more time? Help?

Advertisement

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

Re: Overactive letdown

Talk to your doc first of course, but a few doses of Pseudophed (sp) can slow down milk production. It shouldn't have too much affect on baby and the only major affect it has on a nursing pair is milk supply dropping. It is the safest otc a mom can take for cold. Of course please consult your doc.
I also used cold compresses. Check out boobytubes on Earthmamaangelbaby.com . these are perfect for this. hth
sarah
Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #3
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I have a rapid letdown and eventually DD just caught up with it. She had a very painful latch for a long time though and gagged and choked. During colic I had to pump my letdown then put her on the breast, that worked well but it was hard to do with a toddler running around.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
EmnJJsMom
Registered Users
seller

I forgot to mention that psuedofedrine will not slow down an overactive letdown, but just cut your milk supply.
EmnJJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:08 PM   #5
Celticcloths
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmnJJsMom
I have a rapid letdown and eventually DD just caught up with it. She had a very painful latch for a long time though and gagged and choked. During colic I had to pump my letdown then put her on the breast, that worked well but it was hard to do with a toddler running around.
That was pretty much us, except we managed to avoid colic this time and DD is more easy going. For a few weeks she would gag and cry when let down happened, but after a month or so she figured it out and it's been fine since. Good luck!
Celticcloths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:36 PM   #6
LadonnaKen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an OAL and hyperlactation, and what has worked for me is to block feed (he nurses three feedings on one side before I switch). It takes a few days before it irons out, but eventually it helped control my supply.

Also, can you feel when you letdown? (Tingly or a sudden fullness in the nipple) Some women can, some can't--but if you can, I always pull him off right as I feel the tingle, and I catch that initial spray in a blanket--then I relatch him.

Lastly, I did notice a difference a *little* once he was about 3.5 months old (recently--he'll be four months this Thursday). Between 2-4 months, your milk supply changes from hormonal to supply/demand, and you may see some relief at that point (if you're not there yet, I forgot how old your baby is).

LadonnaKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
aschrimp
Registered Users

Mine started to even out around 3 months (right after a nasty case of mastitis). But even before then, ds had figured out how to deal with it unless I was super-full for some reason. He would just let the extra milk that he couldn't handle drip right back out of his mouth.

I would tuck a prefold into my folded down nursing bra under whichever breast he was on to catch all the extra milk - otherwise I'd have to change not only my bra, but my pants as well - that's how much milk we were talking!

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

oh man! so sorry! oald not oversupply the problem here. I really should stop posting when so tired. Please forgive me and diregard the poor advise I gave. unless you have oversupply too.
Sarah
Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadonnaKen
I have an OAL and hyperlactation, and what has worked for me is to block feed (he nurses three feedings on one side before I switch). It takes a few days before it irons out, but eventually it helped control my supply.

Also, can you feel when you letdown? (Tingly or a sudden fullness in the nipple) Some women can, some can't--but if you can, I always pull him off right as I feel the tingle, and I catch that initial spray in a blanket--then I relatch him.

Lastly, I did notice a difference a *little* once he was about 3.5 months old (recently--he'll be four months this Thursday). Between 2-4 months, your milk supply changes from hormonal to supply/demand, and you may see some relief at that point (if you're not there yet, I forgot how old your baby is).

I just wanted to say ditto!! this is what worked for me as well... still have probs now and again, but not like before - good luck!
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
littleways
Registered Users

my dd use to choke too - but i also noticed a change around 4 months I think she was able to drink faster and the supple started to slow down too. I remember asking my friends about it and they thought I was wierd having so much milk - they couldn't even understand how a cloth breast pad wouldn't work for me for even half a feeding before my shirt would be soaked. Hopefully it settles for you in the future.

Check out: http://www.weecuddle.com
littleways is offline   Reply With Quote