Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
Erinne
Registered Users

Re: Giving water to babies / water for bottles ?'s

Hijack, sorry!
Hi Beaverton mama, maybe you can help me. I live in Portland but I work in Beaverton, so I could bring a jug to take some tap water from Beaverton and have a choice between the waters, but I'm not sure if one is better than the other. Do you know if either city adds floride to their water? I just moved to Oregon, and so far I have been serving Portland water that has been through the Brita filter, but I don't know if I should just bring some Beaverton water home. I'm paranoid, I know! And if you don't know, that's cool too! Thanks!

Advertisement

Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #12
hollissmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have always used tap water for ds's bottles, I have heard of boiling but wow that seems like a lot of planning. ;0 Our water is also city water an filtered and is what we drink as well. We started giving him sips of water at 5-6 months and he used a klean kanteen now when we are out and a glass when we are in the house or at a restauarant (although he likes to stick his hand in it). We are also trying to bypass sippies. He is 11 months old btw.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
Adi'sMum-mum
Registered Users

I have been giving dd tap water since she was 5 months old. She still nurses but while eating dinner (solids) she has a bottle with tap water. This also keeps her entertained and allows me to feed her without trying to grap away the spoon!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #14
MomE2MathU
Registered Users
seller

We FF after he was three months and used bottled water until he was a year old. Now I use a Brita pitcher to filter our city/county water. I'm undecided on whether or not I would use the filtered water over bottled water prior to 1 year.
MomE2MathU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #15
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I always used tap water (city) for our kids bottles, even from the very beginning and both were preemies. Never ever boiled water, or bottles. And straight water.. Ds was about 6 months, DD a year.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

And essentially most bottles water is NO different than tap water, FYI.. just costs more money.
Old 05-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #17
JnS Mama
Registered Users
seller

I just started last week, and ds is 9 months. I give him bottled water from a source that does not use tap water. Regular tap water should be fine if you trust your municipal water source. I'm fine washing bottles in the regular tap water, then letting them air dry & using them, since I figure most of the germs would die once the bottle is dry.

Ami
JnS Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #18
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we start around 8 months with just sips from my cup, no special amount each day or anything.

Breastmilk and Formula has enough water in it for baby, so that they don't need extra water until they are 1 but if you want to do sips after 6 months it won't hurt.

I just use tap water but filtered would be fine too, just make sure you don't use a floride free water, because baby need floride for those teeth.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #19
5browns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was wondering what age too! We just use the filter that's on our faucet for our older kids, but it was 102 this weekend, so I let my 9month old drink some water too. I know they say water is a no-no for babies under 1yr, but it is SOO hot, and he wasn't peeing as much as usual because I think he's sweating it all out (as are we). So do you think it's ok in extreme heat to give plain water to an infant between feedings?
Sara If I'm slow to respond, it's possibly because I care for 3 non-napping children while being involved in a preschool co-op, a veggie co-op, a bible study group, and training for a 5k. I am a little busy.
5browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #20
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have been using tap water since she was 4 weeks old.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote