Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
A letter to my dd's principal

Mrs. __________, I've debated sending this email to you and I hope that it remains confidential. My daughter, _______, is in first grade and we do not allow her to watch certain movies, High School Musical (both) to be one, because we believe that they are not age appropriate. From my understanding, some of the first grade teachers are showing this on movie days. I think that movies should be reviewed by staff and by parents before teachers show them in class or, at least, keep in mind the age of students when showing a movie. I'm far from a prude, but if we start showing "high school" stuff in first grade, what are these children going to expect, say in 6th grade - - my spine shudders with that thought. Let's try to allow our children to remain children and not force them to grow up too quickly. I've given some links to show the age appropriateness for High School Musical 1 & 2. Notice that the movies are marketed to "tweens," which first graders, I hope, are not considered. Regards, Susan http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/publications/moviereviews/PTC/2007/HSM2.asp http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/High-School-Musical.html

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Drearina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A letter to my dd's principal

I can't believe they're doing that!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
MeredithRX
Registered Users

My Mood:

I understand! I found out the other day that they showed The Wizard of Oz to my 3-year-old's class during nap time last week. I didn't feel that was an appropriate movie for such small children either. I was taken by surprise when DS started asking me questions about scary tornadoes and witches.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
mclaybrook
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great letter!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Smidgerooski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you! What ever happened to cartoons, anyway?
Smidgerooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
dakarimom5
Registered Users

My Mood:

Many years ago my DS#1 was in daycare. They played one of the Batman movies. I had a fit. They didn't see a problem...I simply said...does he look 13 to you? The rating for that movie was PG-13. They got the point but I still pulled him out. You may have to go to the school board about this.
dakarimom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd be PO'd too, I hate when they show movies at school anyways, but those are not age appropriate. My friend has let her two Dd's get into that stuff they are 6.5 and 9.5 years old. way too young for my taste, she thinks it's cute to see a 6 yo swing her hips and sing the songs , and it makes me sick
Old 04-26-2008, 07:34 PM   #8
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

whatever happened to The Magic School Bus?!?!?

when i was in the 5th grade my teacher showed the movie It (Stephen King). yup, still scared of clowns!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The letter sounds great to me. The first link you posted says that the movie is ok for kids over 8, but some parents may prefer to wait a little older than that even. If the majority of your first graders are over 8, I think you need to find a new school!

I took my boys to a daycare center run by my aunt and my cousin for a few days while their school was out for Christmas. I picked them up one day and the kids (since it was Christmas, they had all the kids in one room...babies through school-age) were sitting down like zombies watching one of the Shrek movies. I can't really say too much because my boys have watched all three of those movies at home () but that was my choice (actually dh's) and they watched them with us there discussing things as they came up. And actually, they almost NEVER sit and watch any movie or TV show at home. They like to have the TV on, but they never sit and watch it and I'm just fine with that. DH gets frustrated when he wants to watch TV but they want kids' TV on and they're just playing and not paying attention but I'd rather they be playing than sitting like zombies glued to it. Anyway, when that happened, I did talk to my aunt and let her know that I didn't think Shrek had any value for children of any age but certainly not for toddlers and preschoolers. I suggested that if they were going to show movies, they needed to be more age appropriate and the kids should never be forced to sit still and watch TV, even for a few minutes but certainly not for an hour and a half or however long a movie is. I didn't want to make too big of a stink because she was doing me a favor by watching my boys for me those couple of days but I thought she should know that some parents would not find that kosher at all. Since then, on the couple of occasions when I've needed to leave them there, when I pick them up, if the kids are having TV time, my boys are in the front office playing with their great-aunt. I guess that's something but I still feel for all the other little ones who are there every day and whose parents don't speak up for one reason or another.

At the boys' Montessori school, they sent home a notice a while back that in after-care, they would be having "movie day" once a month on a rainy day. The movies would all be rated G and prescreened by the office staff (G doesn't mean what it used to!) and a list would be available for parents to see what movies were being considered. They said that if the kids had movies they wanted to share on those days, that parents needed to provide the movie to the staff beforehand so that they could review the movie and they would not even consider anything that was not rated G. They also emphasized that in Montessori-style, the children would never be "made" to participate in movie time. The TV would be set up in a corner of the classroom and the children could choose to come and watch if they wanted to or work on other lessons or crafts if they wanted to. And while the kids would be encouraged not to disrupt others who wanted to watch the movie, they would be allowed to come and go as they pleased and do other things during movie time rather than being made to sit down and watch the movie.

You know, we have tons of Land Before Time movies and some of them cover some of the same morals and themes that those HSM reviews were talking about but in a much more appropriate way for little ones. Let the kids be kids!! Let us know what your principal responds and kudos to you for standing up and making yourself heard!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I just shake my head. I don't think my dd's teacher let her class watch it, but other 1st graders have.