Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
toddler nursing ?

I know lots of you have lots of experience here with nursing after those toothies come in -
nursing is very very uncomfortable and often painful with my 14 month old - his top teeth dig in while he nurses - added on top that he pops off a lot with teeth still in All 6 of them!
I need encouragement to keep going - its harder for me than getting past the pain in the begining months since there is nothing else they can eat in my mind - right now he eats like a horse

my second issue is more minor but an add on with the discomfort - he only wants to latch seconds at a time during the day multiple times - okay
at home but painful and very very inconvient for nip

suggestions? encouragement?

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
bethaniemiller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: toddler nursing ?

Oww. I feel your pain. I cut out a nursing, to make sure that my little guy was really hungry when we nursed. This helped him stay more "focused" when eating and not playing the "let's see how many times we can latch on in 30 minutes" game. Also, try different positions so that his teeth aren't digging into the same spot on your breast each time he feeds. All I can really say, though, is keep at it momma! You are doing great to have nursed for 14 months already!
Old 04-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
jenastar
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good for your for sticking with it! I nursed DS for just shy of 24 months (he weaned himself right before his 2nd b-day). I agree with Bethanie. Try different positions as much as you can. I'm not sure if this will help with your nursling, but when mine hurt me I told him so. You can't really yell out that it hurts (even though you might want to) because you might scare him, but you can pull him off and just let him know that his new little teeth are sharp and he's hurting mommy, give him a hug and say "let's try again." This actually really helped me because my kiddo understood. Good luck and hang in there!
jenastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #4
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks
Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Quiteria
Registered Users

Yeah, sometimes we just end a nursing session if he pops off a lot. Usually he's willing to be distracted those times b/c he wasn't really hungry in the first place.

(((hugs))) I remember posting similar threads at that age...I'll try to remember what else to say, if other ds lets me type, lol, but it is hard, and good for you sticking it out this long and for getting help!

Last edited by Quiteria; 04-26-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i dont think he every nurses b/c he's hungry anymore except for first thing in the am and even then if brother is already awake he doesnt stick it out long before he's headed off

hmmm - maybe i should just offer before bed and in the am unless he's having a really bad go?
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 16 month old w/ 6 teeth, and she's developed a sort of "lazy" latch. It's not really painful for me (yet, lol), but it's not the peaceful comfort that it used to be, either.

Right now, I nurse her first thing in the AM (b/c when you first wake up for the day, aren't you really thirsty and want something to drink?), and just before her one nap and before she goes to bed. But she eats a ton of solid foods, too... not sure how much your DS is getting. I think that DD and I will be sticking w/ this 3 times/day situation forever, though. It's a routine we've had for a while and there's so much to "do" while we're out in public that she doesn't need to nurse there anymore, usually.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

my almost 17 month old only nurses "nicely" in the morning. In the morning she latches right on and stays put until she's really done. She has 10 teeth. When she got her front ones she would leave deep, painful dents in me but after a couple weeks she figured out how not to do that... I never changed nursing positions, it never bothered me that much.
She will not nurse "nicely" any other time. She nips, she giggles and tries to twist my other nipple off... some times she'll give me a little kiss there.
She eats a TON of solids, healthy foods so I don't worry.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
negrapy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

he does eat lots of food and lots of variety - the kid likes hummus, spinach articoke dip, and guacamole all by the spoon so you probably get the idea - however he doesnt like typically baby/toddler foods like mac and cheese or hot dogs smart kid

well i'm feeling better - i guess i was feeling like once or twice a day wasnt really nursing him enough to keep nursing but he's around 25lbs up from 7.5 last May 31st so i'm deffinately not concerned about his growth - and he's cut back himself from nursing much through out the day since about 11 months on however of late everytime we sit down he wants me to pull up my shirt so he can get to the teething toy

thanks for all the responses - they made me feel better and encouraged!