Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:
QUICK! Need info on BFing laws

I'm just home on break really quickly because I'm working a double today, but I am just so pissed.
There was a family eating lunch, and the mother started breastfeeding her baby. She was completely covered and modest. The server had the balls to come onto the kitchen and asked my manager to ask the family to leave because they were done with their meals and what the mom was doing was disgusting.
I was totally respectful, and just told the girl that by New York State law it was the mother's right to breastfeed her baby, and it was the baby's right to eat. The server then freaked out on me (along with 3 other people, including my manager), telling me it was disgusting, and if they wanted to do that, go home or go to the bathroom. I asked if they would take their dinner into the bathroom, sit on the toilet and eat. They said No, that it would be insanitary and disgusting. So I asked why I would want to feed my baby in such insanitary conditions. They all just kept going on about how gross it is to feed your baby from your 'tits' when other people have to watch. I told them to turn around if it bothered them, and respect the baby's right to eat. They all just kept saying how disgusting it was. I finally lost my temper, and was like, "OH MY GOSH! You ignorant people are what's disgusting! I hate it. SO freaking STUPID!" (Yeah, I was yelling in the kitchen... oops.) They all got really quiet after that and left it alone. I'm always so chill and everybody tells me what a 'sweetie' I am at work, so when they saw I was SO mad, they shut up.

Arg! I am so mad. I'm looking up the NYS laws on breastfeeding in public, and I'm going to post them in our changing room so people will see if before and after every shift. I'm just so sick of the ignorance. This isn't the first time a server has freaked out about a breastfeeding mom at the restaurant. I get so heated every time. Anybody know precisely where I can find the written laws for NYS?

Advertisement

KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
crystal.conwill
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: QUICK! Need info on BFing laws

http://www.breastfeeding.org/law/CRS2.pdf

We BW, CD, EC, EBF, Non-Vax, and love it!
crystal.conwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
bethaniemiller
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go here, http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm
It is kind of a summary of all 50 states...I was asked to leave an Applebees in Apple Valley, MN because I was nursing my baby. : ( Very sad how ignorant people can be...even when states make laws to protect us from their ignorance!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Thanks, mamas. I printed off NYS info.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

Not sure where to find the actual law, but good for you...I know it feels bad losing your temper, but sometimes the peaceful people have to get mad and vent too! lol!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you mama! Them asshats have no right to tell her she cannot feed her baby. It makes me angry how prejudicial they are. They'd never tell a bottle feeding mom to leave. I hope posting the laws makes a difference.
Next time tell em to call the cops if they don't like it

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how can someone see something so beautiful as disgusting so sad
Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
pmills4
Registered Users

I have a t-shirt that says WARNING I NIP (Nurse In Public) If you have a problem with it don't watch. I have gotten mixed comments on it but hey its my right to nurse where ever I want to. They passed a federal law that states a mother can feed her baby anywhere she wishes as long as mother does not overly expose herself. So my opinion if they don't like it they can stuff it. My baby is breastfed and I don't care where I am I am going to feed her if she is hungry.
pmills4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:52 AM   #9
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

I welcome anyone trying to say something to me about nursing dd, especially if dh is there. He's as much of a lactivist as I am and my personal bf'ing bodyguard. Even when he's not and I'm confronted about something like that, I'm super hot-tempered and am very quick to put people in their place.

eta: The one time a manager in a restaurant DID come up to us to ask us to cover up dh came positively unglued on the guy, stood up towering over him (he's 6'4" and 280 lbs of mean) and told him in no uncertain terms that his dw was NOT going to cover the baby's head and that we were NOT leaving until we were done. The manager was so scared of him he ended up comping us dessert and hiding out in the back until we were gone.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07

Last edited by lulusmom; 04-27-2008 at 12:55 AM.
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
litlepick
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmills4 View Post
I have a t-shirt that says WARNING I NIP (Nurse In Public) If you have a problem with it don't watch. I have gotten mixed comments on it but hey its my right to nurse where ever I want to. They passed a federal law that states a mother can feed her baby anywhere she wishes as long as mother does not overly expose herself. So my opinion if they don't like it they can stuff it. My baby is breastfed and I don't care where I am I am going to feed her if she is hungry.
I want one