Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
veggie_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: QUICK! Need info on BFing laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
I welcome anyone trying to say something to me about nursing dd, especially if dh is there. He's as much of a lactivist as I am and my personal bf'ing bodyguard. Even when he's not and I'm confronted about something like that, I'm super hot-tempered and am very quick to put people in their place.

eta: The one time a manager in a restaurant DID come up to us to ask us to cover up dh came positively unglued on the guy, stood up towering over him (he's 6'4" and 280 lbs of mean) and told him in no uncertain terms that his dw was NOT going to cover the baby's head and that we were NOT leaving until we were done. The manager was so scared of him he ended up comping us dessert and hiding out in the back until we were gone.
I LOVE IT!

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
veggie_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal.conwill View Post
Ohio wasn't on there. Does that mean we have no laws on the books?
Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie_mama View Post
Im pretty sure most states have similar laws like bfing is excluding from public nudity therefore making it perfectly fine to nurse where you please.

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie_mama View Post
I found this for you http://llli.org/Law/Bills31b.html

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #15
amiemarie7
Registered Users
seller

i bottle fed my first dd, and am bf my second(and love it). i had never in my entire life realized people actually had a problem with it. both my aunts bf their children, the one while i was around 6 on, and did extended nursing so i was exposed to it. when i made the decision to bottle feed my first, i did so without knowing all the facts and deeply regret it, but even at that time, i had no idea people frowned upon. now that i am bfing, i have done lots of research and see again and again how it is criticized. i had no idea.
in reality, we are mammals and all mammals feed their young with mammary glands. i cant see then how someone doesnt see it as being natural. our society is so screwed up to think of breasts only as sexual objects, forgetting or disgarding their real function.
my dh and i discussed this a few weeks ago. we both agreed never in our lives can we distinctly remember seeing a woman bfing in public. now im sure there were, but my point is we didnt take notice. im sure moms we may have passed by were discreet, but at the same time we both dont go walking thru the mall staring at womans breasts. i really feel that as i walk by, i dont scope out what strangers are doing, and if i do take notice of someone, i certainly dont lose focus on their face to check out what their breasts are doing.
i dont know, i just think women who are insulted are usually women who did not, or at least not with support, bf. maybe they even have guilt about it and have to make themselves feel better trying to find fault with those who do breastfeed. as for men, i personally think most of it has to do with them feeling as breasts are for thier own satifaction and not embracing thier first function. from the time as i child, you see womens breasts showed as sexual objects on television and magazines, but you never see them mainstream regarding breastfeeding. so if no one in thier family happens to breastfeed esp at more influencial years, by the time they are adults they dont know anything different. and instead of embracing something they dont knwo, they criticize it.
well this is all just my mind wandering. i just never knew there was so much controversary over this subject. i did in fact look up that site and our state does say you have the right to bf in public. my dh a police officer even knew it was the law. he tells me all the time just feed her in the restaurant and if someone says something, he will take care of it, but im still too nervous about that type of situation and do everything i can to avoid it.
amiemarie7 is offline   Reply With Quote