Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
widdletigger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Need help introducing formula at 8months old

Yea I know "what IS she thinking?" My son has recently not been gaining weight and now has started to lose weight (9 ounces in a week) They want me to put him on 6oz of formula twice a day. We have tried twice today allredy and he has had a grand total of half an ounce

If anyone has ANY suggestions I am all ears

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help introducing formula at 8months old

Has he ever had a bottle? I mean, bm from a bottle. If so, then I am sure it is just the taste. Does he have any allergy issues? You might just need to try different ones. The cheapest way to do that is to go to walmart and buy the little concentrate cans or the ready to feed. I have heard a lot of people have sucess with good start and parents choice with bf'd babies. Must be a taste thing. I am probably no too much help here. sorry he is losing, I hope you can get things figured out soon. Also, if not, if you can pump bm for him in a bottle, there are calorie supplements you can add to it. They are expensive and you would need a pharmacy to order. Ask your doc about that if formula doesn work out.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have they determined why he's losing weight? I'd want to figure that out before trying to fight with him on taking formula.. What about solids (esp higher fat foods) or increasing your milk supply?
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
aschrimp
Registered Users

Also, has he been teething or recently started crawling or walking? Alot of kids level off or loose weight, especially if all these things start happening at once. My ds, who was previously gaining 4 pounds or so between visits (he was 28 lbs at his 9 month visit) was only 29 at his 1 yr visit. But he's gotten 4 teeth, and started crawling and cruising all in the past 3 months.

If he won't take the formula but will take breastmilk from a bottle, I'd definately look into the supplements that you can add to pumped breastmilk. Moms of twins and preemies use them all the time.

If he won't take a bottle at all (my ds won't) try a sippy cup or a straw cup - he's old enough, and you might have better luck that way. We've had the best luck with a straw cup (the nubby brand). DS LOVES drinking water from it, and it's less messy than the sippy cups (he figured out how to pour them out all over himself - lol). If he is still bfing some of the time, there is no reason why he would need to get his supplements from a bottle...

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
aliks
Registered Users
seller

maybe mix the formula with breastmilk? Like 50% bm and 50% formula. When I ran out of pumped milk that's what I did.
aliks is offline   Reply With Quote