Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: 2 Vax Questions--please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
NOTE! This does NOT recomend the vax for ANYONE UNDER 2!!! Yet Prevnar is given at 2, 4, 6, and 12 mo appts normally??? :scratch:
Interesting. Makes our decision to stop all vax's more concrete. Things injected into our kids aren't as necessary as we were coherced into thinking.

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 03:00 PM   #12
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good for you with all your research! And it's no wonder you're having trouble getting 'studied up' for appts...it's confusing, we had the same problem, and still do!

I haven't read all the replies...but will...just had 2 things to say...

If you decide to go ahead with it, you may not need to give DD anything at all for the pain , etc....Caelum had the DTap only...at the recommended intervals...and he didn't have any side effect - he cried for like, a second, just because it 'shocked' him when the nurse stuck him - but he was perfectly fine, happy, etc afterward. The shots are SO quick. But, some have stronger reactions to them, so it's hard to say how your DD will react.

We just started Hib in July at 15 months...have only had the one. I'm dilly-dallying with it...we did it b/c he was going to be around kids all of July, I'm not convinced he reallly needs it since he's not in daycare and after 2 years old I think the risk is lower. It's all so confusing! I mostly just sit on the fence hoping I'll make a decision soon!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
GrandIsp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, just read all the replies! Thanks for that info - PPs - it reminds me why I sit on the fence with vaxes - it's all so scary, hard to understand, etc. It's truly mind-boggling to me! All I know is that our 18-mo is coming up and we're not getting any vaxes! So weird about the Prevnar - we didn't get that either (only have 3 DTaps and 1 Hib under our belt currently) and I can't believe the CDC says it's not even FOR under 2's!

I do have the name of an online pharmacy that will sell your doctor's office separated vaxes, at least for MMR - it's called the Hopewell Pharmacy. I wrote to them asking about getting the MMR separated and I have their reply letter if anyone's interested. Not sure what we're going to do yet, but at least I have the info!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
halyled
Registered Users
seller

Just popped in to comment that I'm not sure I'd recommend bf'ing *while* DD is getting the vaccine, if that's what you meant. If she's anything like DS (who is 7 months) she might not stay latched on while a stranger is handling her legs anyway. I'd also be afraid she'd associate something unpleasant with bf'ing after that, or bite/gum down hard on your nipple. Definitely nurse her immediately afterwards, though.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just gotta ask why you would bother with the DTAP for the whooping cough vaccine if she's out of the woods already for Pertussis because Dangerous. Not to mention if you started it now, it's a 4 shot cycle. You don't just get one DTAP and your "protected" doesn't work that way.
Pertussis from what I understand is only really dangerous in the first 6 months of life. She won't be "protected" from it until after she's a year old.

If anything I would stay away from DTAP... That one has the highest reaction rate of them all from what i understand, not to mention like i said, it's pointless. lol

From what i understand more doctors don't like ya to nurse as the child is getting the shot. Not sure why, I've heard everything from biting down to choking.

good luck with your choice. I know it's a hard one to make. it's very confusing.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
naturegirl7
Registered Users

My Mood:

Honestly, if you are hesitant to put tylenol into your child becuase it is unnatural - why are you even considering vaxing? Thimerisol aside - Vax are still full are nasty chemicals and synthetic crap. And it gives an artificial immunity that wears off later in life, unless of course you constantly get the boosters. Plus, some of the vax are not effective in some people - like the MMR. Plus at 6 months old, your baby has a much lower risk of getting Hib or pertussis. Carefully consider the risks factors - both of getting the vax and of not getting the vax. Just how at risk is your child to even be exposed to these things?

As you have probably guessed - we don't vax. DS is 15mo and so far he had Roseola (which every baby gets and is not serious in any way). and Last week he got his first serious illness, tonsilitis. I think he has a healthier immune system cuz of the choices we have made for him, not vaxing, chiropractic care, organic foods, breastfeeding, etc.

I suggest you go to www.mothering.com and check out their forum on vaxing. It has tons of great articles, links, etc that contain lots of great info that is easy to read and digest. It makes "reading up" on this subject much much easier, and more thorough IMO. Plus the moms there are incredibly knowledgable and helpful.

Also - know that if you choose to selectively vax - you will lose your ability to declare a religious exemption. Without a legally recognized exemption, you will have trouble enrolling your child in school, etc. You can even have problems with your children and youth agency - there is a whole thread about this over at MDC. Really sad stuff....

ANyway, I am glad you are educating yourself and trying to make an informed decision. GL in whatever you decide. And if you do go with the vax - BF!!! Give tylenol BEFORE going, so that it is kicking in. Warm compresses to the injection site afterwards can help prevent problems and pain. ANd watch for any fevers, allergic reactions, etc.
naturegirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:23 AM   #17
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good for you making an educated choice! I always say "vax away just don't go in blind"

I WANT to make this easier on you, but I can't. This is YOUR child and you have to make this choice. But again, I am SO proud of you for going in informed!
If you aren't done reading do this:
say "I agree with your concerns and feel these 2 vaxes have the most benefit at this age. However I am just not completely comfortable today. I need to feel certain I am doing the best thing for my child. If you have any written information you'd like to share I would love to read that this week. Can I come in for a nurse visit and shots another day? Will that incur a seperate copay?" MANY Drs in an effort to get you to vax will let you come in whenever you are ready for a run into the back with a nurse to get a jab free of charge. So you DON'T need to know for sure today what you want to do. You can't un-do a vax. Be SURE before you inject.

FWIW DTaP scares the HELL out of me
Old 09-15-2006, 07:42 AM   #18
rxmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PPV IS NOT PREVNAR!!!!!

Please, please, please, get your facts straight before you go scaring people.

There are TWO kinds of pneumococcal vaccines. PPV is the polysaccharide vaccine against 23 strains. It is normally recommended for elderly and a few other groups of people.

Prevnar is PCV. It is a pneumococcal conjugate vaccine. Used on infants. VERY DIFFERENT from PPV.

Quote:
EEP! I forgot to put info about the pneu vax! PPV is also known as Prevnar - you've probably heard of that. Here we go, straight from the CDC website, emphasis mine:

NOTE! This does NOT recomend the vax for ANYONE UNDER 2!!! Yet Prevnar is given at 2, 4, 6, and 12 mo appts normally??? :scratch:

For the full article, see here:

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/publications/VIS/vis-ppv.txt
Annie, pharmacist mommy to Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel baby #3 10/08, Sophia 1/10 and Isaac 6/12
rxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:45 AM   #19
rxmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
You should see the rest of the list.

BTW, in case you didn't know, thimerosal is 50% mercury by weight. The flu vax has the highest amount - 25 mg per dose (that's 25 ug of mercury, 50 ug of thimerosal). I would never, ever, in a million years give that to a small child, pregnant nor nursing woman since mercury can pass through the placenta and through breastmilk. The only thing my birth center ever did that I look back on in disgust is give me a flu vax at my 6 week post appt, but I'm sure they had no idea what the ingredients are.
Also, mg is different from "ug" - the "u" is really a mu, a greek letter. Looks like a u. Stands for MICROgrams, not milligrams (mg). A microgram is 1/100th of a mg. That amount in the flu vaccine is so incredibly tiny. Flu vaccines are also available thiomerosal-free.
Annie, pharmacist mommy to Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel baby #3 10/08, Sophia 1/10 and Isaac 6/12
rxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #20
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmommy
Also, mg is different from "ug" - the "u" is really a mu, a greek letter. Looks like a u. Stands for MICROgrams, not milligrams (mg). A microgram is 1/100th of a mg. That amount in the flu vaccine is so incredibly tiny. Flu vaccines are also available thiomerosal-free.
I mis-typed the "m", meant to put u there as well. I work in the biotech field, so I do know what microgram is. It's actually 1/1000th of a mg, not 1/100th, so I guess anyone can mistye

drugs.com uses Prevnar and PPV interchangeably:

http://www.drugs.com/prevnar.html

so if they are seperate vaccines, drugs.com (and other sites) need to be updated.
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote