Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #1
GoddessWifeMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
*UPDATE*Whooping Cough anyone ever encountered it??

Just wondering if anyone here has ever had a little one with Whooping Cough??

Our DD seems to have it from what my DH and I think.

She has bouts of horrible coughing that sounds horrible. She coughs for like 2-3 mins straight and just doesn't stop she turns red red red and most of the time ends up throwing up.

She has also stopped breathing and turned blue while having a coughing bout.

We took her to the clinic the other day and they did X-rays of her chest but it turned out that there was nothing in there. But when she coughs and breaths you can hear the phlem in there somewhere and she has spit up some. SO we know it's there plus it just sounds horrible.

Anyway the Dr. at the Clinic said it was just a viral infection probably and sent us home. But it's been over a week since this started and she is getting worse.

From the stuff we have read on Whooping cough it sounds like she has it and it seems like it is most often impossible to get it diagnosed.

Has anyone had a little one with it. She's only 13 mns and there have been more than 3 times where I have seriously thought she was going to die from not being able to breathe. I even said to myself today what if we go to bed one night and she just doesn't wake up.

Any suggestions. She is going to her DR. first thing tomorrow morning to get a second opinion.

Advertisement

Last edited by GoddessWifeMom; 09-13-2006 at 09:28 AM.
GoddessWifeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whooping Cough anyone ever encountered it??

no help here, only hugs! i remember reading your post about taking her to the hospital, and was wondering how she was doing. please don't make yourself sick thinking about 'what ifs'. that will do you and her no good, ok? just focus on getting some answers. let us know what the dr says.
titania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
mamato5angels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My sister had it. It took almost a year to clear. She was so bad that she couldn't talk with out coughing. I would totally push the issue with the Dr. I would have to ask my mom if there is any test that they caould do it find out. I know she went roung for upward of 3 months before finally getting an answer.

Good luck to you all.
mamato5angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #4
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, how scary! Sounds like you're reading from the book I'm reading about pertussis.
From what I'm reading, this is the most dangerous part--especially if her eating is causing coughing, which is in turn causing vomiting---could lead to dehydration, which I think all drs would be concerned with.
I'd keep searching for second and third opinions if I felt deep-down that the previous ones given.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
halyled
Registered Users
seller

This may be a dumb question...but has she been vaccinated against whooping cough (pertussis, the vax is called the dtap, I think). If so, it's probably not whooping cough.

Even if not vaxed, I would suspect bronchitis/bronchiolitis before I suspected whooping cough, unless you know for sure she's been exposed to whooping cough. Whooping cough is supposed to have a distinctive sound, I think.

Bronchitis has the symptoms you listed. Phlegm doesn't show up on an x-ray, I don't think. When they do a chest x-ray, they're usually looking for fluid in the lungs, which would mean pneumonia. I've had almost yearly bouts with bronchitis since I was a kid, and I've coughed to the point of vomiting. it feels like trying to breathe through cheesecloth, and I wheeze and cough up crud when I have it.

Has she had a cold recently? Stuffy nose? Bronchitis is common after a cold/virus. If she's having trouble breathing, I'd definitely take her back to the doc. When DS had it when he was younger, they were able to prescribe ampules for the nebulizer (xopenex). Of course, that would mean you'd have to get a nebulizer... But even triaminic might help, especially if it has an expectorant in it. And antibiotics often can help with bronchitis.

For home treatment, water/fluids will help loosen the phlegm. A cool mist humidifier usually helps me (not a warm mist vaporizer). And this may sound weird, but thumping on her back can also help dislodge phlegm. I have a friend who is a nurse who used to do this for me sometimes.

Good luck, hope she feels better soon.

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

You can tell the sound of whooping cough. It sounds almost like a seal barking. Run a very hot steamy shower and sit in the bathroom. If it is cool at night, go outside for fresh air. I would get to another doc also. Take her to the Er or urgent care clinic if you need to.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Actually, in babies the "whooping" sound isn't as pronounced or is completely non existant. That is more associated with older kids. But the vax question is a good one. Has she been vaxed? Either way, I would be more inclined to think of bronchitis or bronchiolitis myself. But that can actually show up on an x-ray, but it has to read by someone who knows what to look for. Anyway, the test isn't a bad one, so ask for it just to have your mind put at ease. They can just swab her nose to check for it, but they do have to hold it in there for a certain amount of time if I remember correctly. I hope she is feeling better soon.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:16 PM   #8
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Hazel had it a few months ago, probably at least 6 months ago and she had the cough. She is about 15 months now, so around a year. I didn't know smaller babes didn't get that. It is such a sad cough
Old 09-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

To me it does sound like whooping cough. I will try to find the link I found before that had recordings of 3 different coughs of the whooping cough.

My son was 10 and my other son was 7 and they both had it this spring. They had both been vax'd for it as well. The vax is for a certain strand of pertussis and guess what....not the one they caught!! What good did it do!

Also....there are no meds for it. No cough medicine worked, no cold meds worked. It was terrible. It started off as a regular cold woul then evolved into that awful cough.
It really did last the full 100 days.

When ds #1 coughed he could not breathe he coughed so hard that he did throw up sometimes. His face would be beat red. Then after the sickness and cold symptoms passed, the cough held on for at least 3 full months. When he had the coughing fits later in the months he would feel almost fine between the coughing. It was weird.

I will pray for your little girl and look for the website. You can also askjeeves and it will bring up a bunch of links.

Hugs mama!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It really doesn't matter wether or not she was vaxed against it, it is one of the least effective vaxes on the recomendations. Over 70% of the kids who get whooping cough each year are vaxed against it. Probably more considering Dr's refuse to diagnose whooping cough in children who are vaxed, they look for other explanations and label it as things like croupe ect. IT is simple to diagnose with a nasel and throat culture, but most dr's won't order it on vaxed individuals, so you may have to demand it. It really doesn't matter though because as others have mentioned there is no treatment that is effective. Though you may want to rule it out if it isn't whooping cough so you can try and figure out what it is in case it is something that can be treated. I hope your little one gets to feeling better soon, no matter what she has. I think I had whooping cough as a kid (never diagnosed but I had that seal like bark for months) even now when I get sick I sometimes cough like that, especially if I am really sick. But I have had lots of other respiratory issues as well that are totally unrelated (mostly related to growing up in a house with a smoker ).
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote