Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pumping question/support

Duplicate post. Sorry!

Advertisement

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

Last edited by Rosella; 04-28-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:31 PM   #12
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

how long are you pumping for? I pumped for 30min at a time. also, I (and most everyone I know) have to pump more than just the missed feedings. I ended up pumping 5x a day on my working days and 2x a day on my nonworking days. to be SURE I had enough.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #13
jennekate
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was also going to ask how many x/day you are pumping. I had to pump 3x at work and 1x in the evening to get enough for three 4oz. bottles. I also pumped on the weekends, enough to get one extra bottle for the week on Sat. and Sun. Compression when letdown would happen while pumping about doubled my output. Drinking lots of liquids and cutting back on caffeine helped too.

GL to you.....it's a lot of work, but it's totally worth it!

Oh, one other thing....how much is your DD getting at each feed while away from you? Is it possible that her caregiver is feeding her too much, causing you to need to pump more than necessary? That happened to a friend of mine....

proud mom to Ellie, 9/23/06
jennekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
smartie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Have you tried taking fenugreek? I took that after my DD was born at 4lbs and i needed a lot of milk to try to get her to gain. It worked! You can find it at any healthfood store.
smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
teleana22
Registered Users
seller

i know how you feel, i Hate my pump. i have plenty of milk for him, but have to work like crazy every day to get his 3 bottles for me to work one day a week. i too had slightyl more luck expressing milk by hand after trying 4 different pumps. the only thing i don't see mentioned here is keep your pump ready to go and if you feel letdown go pump then. i can get 2-3 oz in 5 minutes this way, and if not it takes me more like 30-45 min to get the same amount. gl!

Teleana
teleana22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #16
LanesMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Relaxation is a big key... I also have this problem... it helps to smell/ snuggle with my ds blanket... also looking at his picture... Good luck and remeber to think positively or nothing will help!! Oh I also bought More Milk Plus from Motherlove.com- get the capsules if you do go with these as the tincture is terrible!!! It helped a lot!!!!!!

Last edited by LanesMama; 04-28-2008 at 09:17 AM.
LanesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
heather_lynn68
Registered Users

My Mood:

Pumping is hard work and can be very stressful. My ds is almost 11months and I have been pumping since he was 2 months. All I can tell you is to keep pumping, the more the better! I find that pumping while nursing also helps. Keep on a schedule and pump when you are at home top build a stockpile. I have days when my supply is lower than others. I am also hypothyroid so when my meds are off my supplpy drastically drops. Good luck and keep it up. Neither of my kiddos had ever needed to take formula.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
nevsmom06
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the support/suggestions mamas!

I have the PIS and while it doesn't take much to get a let down, how much I get varies. I am only away from DD on Tues and Thurs. My mom is the caregiver when I work. I do think she tends to over fill DD. Giving a full 4oz bottle at every feeding, and I think she probably spits up a full oz or more after eating that much. She swears she's starving and needs it though, and no amount of arguing will stop her from giving those full 4 oz.

I'm going to head over to the lactation store here and see if maybe having an LC help fit me to a correct sized shield might help. I'm fairly small chested (a full B when I'm nursing, a tiny B when not)

I also tried the hand expression here at home. Is there any way to do this and not make a mess? Maybe I just need to work on the technique. I ended up with more all over my hands than in the bottle. But there was definitely more milk in there than the pump got.

I am able to pump 2 times at work, 3 if I'm lucky. I finally talked them into letting me use the ER Dr's office to pump so at least now I finally am able to pump somewhere better than the public restroom at work. It's hard to relax though since I feel like my co-workers are somewhat resentful of the fact that I get to take extra "breaks" and get irritated if I'm gone more than 15 minutes. GAH! None of them have children or if they do they FF and so don't really understand.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
tammilf
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevsmom06 View Post
Thanks for the support/suggestions mamas!
Giving a full 4oz bottle at every feeding, and I think she probably spits up a full oz or more after eating that much. She swears she's starving and needs it though, and no amount of arguing will stop her from giving those full 4 oz.
Maybe make the bottles slightly smaller...3 or 3.5 oz?
Nursing babies tend to continue to suck for comfort, and so may stay longer than they need at the bottle. Or ask G'ma to take a break in the middle of the bottle?

Quote:
I'm going to head over to the lactation store here and see if maybe having an LC help fit me to a correct sized shield might help. I'm fairly small chested (a full B when I'm nursing, a tiny B when not)
The breast shields actually are more for your nipple size than your cup size. The fitting should help you with this.

Quote:
I am able to pump 2 times at work, 3 if I'm lucky. I finally talked them into letting me use the ER Dr's office to pump so at least now I finally am able to pump somewhere better than the public restroom at work. It's hard to relax though since I feel like my co-workers are somewhat resentful of the fact that I get to take extra "breaks" and get irritated if I'm gone more than 15 minutes. GAH! None of them have children or if they do they FF and so don't really understand.
You are a good mama for working extra hard to feed your baby. It is a very emotional topic and some of the ff mama's are probably a bit defensive about their choice. So that may be fueling some of their attitude. You can only make your own choices and need to let the bad attitude roll off your back!
tammilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #20
kristenkan52
Registered Users

I had similar pumping woes (I had the Medela Mini Electric which is not even as nice as the PIS I think)... anyway, I was blessed with a friend who was able to loan me a hospital grade pump. It's not really transportable but I only have to pump at home so it works for me... anyway, it was TOTALLY amazing to get 3oz in about 7-10 minutes. I do this twice every day and so I get 6oz per day which for the amount I'm away from my LO is plenty. But the point is that maybe you count see about renting a hospital grade pump because you would totally get so much more.