Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dh's opinion on NIP

Another post made me want to ask this. What does your Dh think about you nursing in public? Does me want you to cover up or not care? My DH personally doesn't care, dd is hungry she is gonna get fed. But he would prefer to not make other people uncomfortable, so he prefers me to cover up. But he doesn't care WHERE I feed her, he thinks its dumb to go to the bathroom or hide away. Especially since she is 9 months old, won't eat baby food yet and only nurses for 5 minutes. My mom is the same way, she could care less tho if I cover up or not, my MIL is more conservative and likes to avoid confrontation. My sisters(inc. SIL) are all for it and cheer me on, but my BIL thinks its gross and I need to go to the bathroom or seclude myself when I do it. So, ya, I was just curious what everyone else's family thinks.

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
mindycat72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dh's opinion on NIP

My DH is firmly in the "Just try and make my baby starve" camp.
mindycat72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

My DH doesn't care where I nurse. He sometimes cares whether I cover up or not but it depends where we're at.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Shyla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dh doesnt care where I nurse but that I do cover up if other men are around. He also helps makes sure that me and baby are comfortable and that baby stays covered. Hes even fanned us while I nurse before. I personally feel it is common courtesy to cover up around other males (as to not cause them to sway but that is because of my personal beliefs) I would never have a problem with a women nursing and not covering up though. Geez if I didnt cover up around some of dhs friends while nursing they would be drooling over my breasts and staring at them and that would just be creepy
ISO GMS & Wool:
Shyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
stacey
Banned

My Mood:

My DH doesn't care where or when or i fi do cover up. My lo won't eat with a blanket on his head so we just try to be discrete. Don't like it? Don't look he says.

Although, I had a fight with his boss about it. He works in a restaurant and the general manager and i had a bit of a disagreement. I nurse in his place all the itme and he never notice3d but, he was telling me he would ask me to go to the bathroom and i went off. I sent him a linkt o the applebees article and told him he can say whatever he wants to but, i wouldn't suggest having the cahonies to go up to a nursing mom and tell her to go in teh bathroom. HIs restaurant isn't a big enough chain to take a blow like that whne he gets nurse outs and all that jazz. I also told him that I would like all the mouth breathers that chew with their mouths open to be offered blankets to put on thier heads so i don't throw up when they are eating. it offe3nds me i said.
He now knows that even if i decide to take of fmy shirt and bra and throw them on the floor he should just be quiet.
I digress.
stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
Shelsi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dh doesn't care at all where I nurse and I've never even tried to use a cover. Honestly it looks sort of complicated to me. Seriously. Besides, I was getting my hair cut a few weeks ago and dd wanted to nurse. Of course I had the giant cape thing on so she basically got covered by it and she FREAKED out. I don't blame her. If I was sitting there having a milk shake and someone threw a giant dark cover over me I would panic too.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
LnJmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I first informed him that I would breastfeed, his older to were ff, he didn't want me nursing in public. He wanted me to pump and put it in a bottle or go to the car or cover up. I made it clear that in no way would I deprive my child or go elsewhere to make another person more comfortable. My baby's needs are 100% more important to me than what someone thinks of my child eating.
Now our son is 15 months old. He could careless if I nurse topless in the middle of the mall chocked full of people. He learned after our son was born that his needs come first no matter what. I did use a blanket in the first week or so to get him latched on then I would take it down. Heck the first time our son nursed he watched from a distance trying to take it all in. Now he messes with him while he nurses and talks and plays with him. He definatly has the get between my baby and his food attitude now.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

At first, he was very uncomfortable with it. He was not used to seeing anyone bf, so NIP was this big scary thing. He wanted me to use a blanket, and in the beginning, I tried, but it was WAY harder to get the blanket just right and Elizabeth latched on (especially in the beginning), so I ditched the blanket. Now, he doesn't care. I don't do much NIP, since she is SO distractable right now, but when I do, he could care less.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
rjbarstow
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
If I was sitting there having a milk shake and someone threw a giant dark cover over me I would panic too.

DH has never made any comments or suggestions regarding NIP...I suppose he realizes that his say doesn't matter all that much in those instances.

I only have one family member that is uncomfortable w/ me nursing and that is my grandfather. He gets all flustered if he realizes I am nursing. Whenever we are at my mom's and he visits I do go into the other room. Since I tandem nurse (except when actually out in public) I end up pretty exposed.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #10
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

The kids' dad never had a problem with it, never seemed concerned about it. I asked him once, since we never NIP much in the first place, and he said if anyone had a problem with it he'd be up in their grill, LOL.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote