Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Oceanwaveshimd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Plantar Fascitis and Yoga

I started taking yoga last night and at my class my feet were KILLING ME. I have plantar fascitis and that is what was acting up. I know I need to stretch more, probably before I leave for class and every day but are there any other mamas with this foot problem and do you have any suggestions on how NOT to be in pain at yoga?
TIA!!!

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Plantar Fascitis and Yoga

Don't really know what that is but my advice is to talk to your yoga instructor. They are *usually* very knowledgeable!

nak

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Oceanwaveshimd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingflower View Post
Don't really know what that is but my advice is to talk to your yoga instructor. They are *usually* very knowledgeable!

nak

Thanks, but I am not sure she would be much help. She is good, but is doing this because she needs community service hours (her job requires employees to give back to the community and this is how she chose to do it...which is awesome!), but Ill see if she knows.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have this and it stinks big time. I love to play racquetball but that really kills it. Oh well...I play anyway. Lots of stretching and a visit to the foot doctor for some supportive arches and such...I wish I had more answers. When I wake up in the morning is the worst...especially cause I am in a hurry to get to the potty to pee and can hardly walk.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
huntingflower
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I read about your condition and at first I was going to say put less weight on your heels and more on the front of your foot. But I can't see that being very stable and when doing yoga a main focus for standing asanas is balance.

I would suggest keeping the standing poses to a minimum and since it recommends stretching the achilles tendon then a few good ones to practice would be wide leg forward bend, extended triangle pose, warrior pose. Anything that would stretch that muscle a bit and the muscles in your feet would probably do you some real good. But I would keep the majority of your practice floor related and be careful while stretching those muscles so you don't further injure yourself.

Hope this helps a bit if your instructor wasn't able to give you any advice. Do these ones at home and then maybe once your body gets used to it a regular class woul dbe easier to get through. Good Luck!

huntingflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have both Plantar Fascitis and a heel spur(bone spur) it's seriously as long as my heel. I saw a podiatrist in Feb but he wouldn't treat me until I weaned my DD however she weaned on her own at 32 mths in early April. So I should go see him again.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #7
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

Yoga will actually help you a lot to stretch the plantar fascia, and also to strengthen all the muscles in your feet which will add support. i have had several students over the years with this condition, and yoga has helped all of them. but it can be very uncomfortable at first.

here's a short little blurb with some good advice from Yoga Journal: http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/239

this is an easy to read blog i found that has some good tips : http://experienceyoga.blogspot.com/2...n-go-away.html

when it's really acting up badly, you need to back off. don't feel embarrassed at all about stopping in any pose that causes you pain. ask your teacher for an alternative, or if that's not possible, just take a moment to relax in child's pose, or sit and massage and circle your foot to help relieve the discomfort. many of the poses that hurt the most are oddly the ones that can help the most - but they're not going to help if the fascia is inflamed and overly sensitive, so you need to take it slow. one of the best stretches you can do is to stand with your toes on the edge of a step/stair and let your heels drop off the edge, relaxing the heel downward. this will help you stretch out the fascia.

also, just in general in all standing poses, make sure you are evenly pressing into all of your foot and not rocking your weight into any particular spot - especially your heel. think of your foot as having four corners, like a rectangle, and make sure all four corners are pressing evenly into the floor. also think about lifting up through your arches.

yoga really can help a ton with plantar fascitis - you just have to be patient and mindful. don't push yourself too hard of it will just take longer to get better.