Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:
Rash Help Needed

Ok so im always raving how DS has never had a rash. Once in a while he might get a bit pink if he has had a looser bowel movement, but he has never really had a diaper rash ever. I chalk it up to the fact we cloth diaper. My DD was a sposies kid & she has had some doosies of rashes.

Well the rashes im used to seeing from my experience with my daughter has been red ones or even at its worst red with blisters or something.

Well a few days ago or maybe even a week tops we noticed DS seemed a little pink around his anus. He had been drinking more dairy & had a few loose stools so I chalked it up to the acid from those stools & preceeded to treat the pinkness with balmex.

As time went on I thought it was getting better, and we continued with the balmex.
Then today I realize that the rash isnt really around his anus hardly anymore. It actually is spread to a sand dollar size rash that covers both cheeks almost totally even. Its not really red either- its light a pale pink & looks dry no blisters. At the outter point of the ring of rash is a dark ring- closer to red than the actual rash itself. He screamed all night last night & I changed him frequently & wondered if he wasnt having bad dreams. Its not really like him to wake up during the night. This morning was kind of when I noticed the rash was worse- but still thinking it was a regular rash I treated it with balmex.

By the time we got out of church he was grabbing at his bottom saying ouch & I again changed him (as ive been doing so frequently) & realized that the rash was worse than this morning & seemed to be growing semi fast. I was confused. Ive done everything right. & It doesnt even look like a regular rash.

Now he screams & tightens up when I change him- I gently pat rub clean him with wipes- as he screams even then. I called his pediatrician who will see him tomarrow but in the meantime recommended neosporin instead of balmex.

Now we have him running around in a loose prefold (so he can get lots of air) with a neosporin coated bottom.

I feel bad for him.

I still have no idea whats caused this rash. Ive never seen one pale pink & with a darker ring around it like this.

Could it be yeast? Or Lactose intolerance? I guess ill find out tomarrow but in the mean time I feel so aweful for him & Im wondering as im still tired from last night- if he will be up again all night tonight.

Advertisement

IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
TwosCompany
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Rash Help Needed

The only rash I've seen with dark outer ring is ringworm, which if memory serves is a fungus. Poor baby! DD is going through a rough rash right now--ped. gave us a prescription rash med! I feel so sorry for them when they hurt so much.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
*Willow*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, after following the doctors advice and using neosporin in place of balmex, the rash appears worse.
It seems red and blistery looking now.
I still think its gotta be something like yeast.
Its just strange he would have a yeast issue now when we are weaned to only 1-2 nursings a day.
I am still only using loose prefolds to allow his bottom to get air. I would let him go without anything- but Im pregnant & chasing him around the house to mop up puddles on our floor would be a pain. Not to mention make it slippery if I dont see immediately when he does it.

My DS has a doctors appt at 1:50 EST so hopefully we will get a RX for some ointment that will help.

Last edited by *Willow*; 04-28-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
partyof6
Registered Users
Formerly: KELLY4W
seller

My Mood:

Hi, I just got back from the doctor because my dd "rash" was soooo bad and I tryed everything, it was not like an rash I have seen before
So I fell like the worlds worse mom now my poor poor dd!!
It was almost a staff infection (did I spell it right? )!!
She has to take oral meds and cream then go back in a week.

You can send me a pm with a picture of the rash and I can tell you if thats what m dd has I would not post the pics on this post though just pm me.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
cheeky
Registered Users

My Mood:

sometimes when the rash has a ring around it, it could be ringworm, which is a fungal rash/yeast. my kids both had ringworm, only it never bothered them, so maybe just the urine or wipe solution is irritating it?
also they can get yeast infections at any time, in fact my daughter has one right now. maybe it's getting worse because of the ointment? i'm using an antifungal cream on my daughter it's working slowly but well.

hope it heals soon!
cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
one_lucky_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dd had a rash where it hurt her and it was yeast and the dr had me put Lotrimin cream on it.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
*Willow*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Turns out- doctor said it was yeast, he is now on RX vusion ointment to treat it. Thankyou everyone for your responses.

Now how should I wash the diapers to get the yeasties out of them & keep them from comming back?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
partyof6
Registered Users
Formerly: KELLY4W
seller

My Mood:

After a reg wash out them in the dish washer use hot water, thats how ou strip diapers. Do it after every wash until rash is 100% gone.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 PM   #9
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thought I'd come check out your thread after talking w/ you on PM this morning.

for your DS, I hope it clears up quickly.

Ditto the dishwasher. The washing machine alone won't have hot enough water to kill it. A tiny bit of bleach will work too if you're not opposed to it. I *think* tea tree oil will help, too, but I'm not for positive on that.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote