Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Depressed while nursing

It is so strange...when I get ready to nurse DS I get this big feeling of depression come over me. It's like I start to nurse and I feel like my dog just died. What is this about? Am I weird? Does anyone know why I would be feeling this way? I should feel happy and joyful while nursing...I am so happy that BFing has worked with DS. Why is this happening? Is it PPD?

I think I MAY be dealing with a bit of PPD. But don't really know what to do about it. If I go to the doctor won't they want to put me on pills? And you can't BF while on those pills right? So I guess I just deal with feeling this way???

Courtney;wife to USAF Doug& a SAHM to Mackenzie& Jackson
[CENTER]Be my Swag friend!!
My online yard sale!!!
c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Depressed while nursing

For sure talk to your doctor. I don't know if you can nurse while on PPD pills, but it is always worth an ask, and I think depending on how extreme your ppd is, you might be able to do other things other then pills (I don't know for sure, but I am sure your doctor can provide other options).

Now getting to why I really posted When I first started nursing my ds, I felt sad, it would just be a rush of sadness, only when I nursed, I still don't know why. I would think it has a lot to do w/hormones. I had problems nursing my first, and it surprised me too, as I was happy nursing was going so well. I can tell you, I have been nursing for almost 6 months now, and it doesn't happen any more.
Never thought I would look forward to laundry!

Last edited by aqua_jellybean; 04-28-2008 at 04:06 PM.
aqua_jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

when I first started, I would get very very sleepy, and the nurse told me was just the hormones being released. Perhaps it is just hormones, but it could be more. My Doctor was concerned that I would have PPD and mentioned the meds. He said I could still BF with no problem. infact, he really wanted me to take them as preventative sake, as he felt I was a high risk. (I was rather emotional EVERY time he dropped in to see me while in the hospital)
It doesn't hurt to talk to your doctor.
Rose-first time mom to Marissa 07/24/07
Jz_Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm sure it is hormone related - but please do talk to your doctor. If you feel that you may be having PPD you need to have that confirmed or otherwise find out what you are struggling with if it isn't PPD. And just because it's hormonal doesn't mean you have to just put up with it. There are plenty of things you can do but you need to start by talking to your doc. Hugs to you and congrats on the new little one!
SAHMama to three!
imamama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

Second the hormone relationship. I always felt drained when I nursed. Starting from my head and working it's way down I would feel increasingly drained and lethargic. Not a far cry from depressed (which I already was so maybe that's why). It has gotten better for me. I think I had PPD and just didn't recognize it bc it wasn't my normal sort of depression. Having to do it again I would have at least consulted a dr.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Just wanted to reiterate that there are many anti-depressants that are compatible with breastfeeding, if that's what you end up needing. Best wishes!

mama to Isaac (4/04) and Flynn (10/06)
emilysvenson is offline   Reply With Quote