Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 AM   #11
secretariat88
Registered Users

Re: Raw milk?

Also for those who have raw milk and want a very inexpensive (well, totally free after initial cost of about $10!!) and very powerful probiotic you might look into having live kefir grains? I bought mine for about $10 including shipping on ebay, and I also bought some plastic strainers from her as well.

( I bought from this seller for those interested, http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ...3aMEWNQ3aMESOI )

The kefir makes billions of good microflora, below I posted the numbers, and you can see that it has more than the brand (I think it's called Natren? or something like that, I know it starts with a N) that they charge $80 a bottle for. Plus the kefir grains multiply fairly quickly so for those with large families will have enough for the whole family in short order and will be giving them over 16 good strains of probiotics compared to the normal 2 found in yogurt. For those who love yogurt you will probably love kefir as well! I make strawberry smoothies, raw egg eggnog, vanilla stevia burst, ect. I'm not big on it plain but I can do it. Anyway, thought some might be interested in this. Fermented, microbiotic foods were always a staple of healthy natives and this is easy and cheap way to have a healthy gut.

Microbial Composition of Kefir at End of Fermentation

Lactococci : 1,000,000,000
Leuconostocs : 100,000,000
Lactobacilli : 5,000,000
Yeast : 1,000,000
Acetobacter : 100,000

For more information than you can absorb (he's a science nut on kefir:
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html#welcome

Advertisement

Do you want $425 for referring people to this site & signing up for a free trial? Click here for a legit and quick site! http://tinyurl.com/bgfbtx
secretariat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
TLDmom
Banned

My Mood:

Thanks so much for this info. I have found some local areas that have rawmilk for sale.

I do have question may be a silly one, but what does it taste like? Does it taste like the milk from grocery stores

Plus I found this great little farm to go and visit with the kids...
There about 10 mins from us
http://www.brookfordfarm.com/index.html

Last edited by TLDmom; 04-29-2008 at 11:25 AM.
TLDmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #13
acoffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

it is delicious...if you are familiar with the taste of whole milk, this is pretty much the same taste.
Good luck with your search and have fun at the farm. I am going to have to do some searching of my own on farms that are close by.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
acoffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow...thanks for all the info. I really had no idea that you could do so much with the cream. I wouldn't know what to do or how long anything is good for. There is really so much I don't know, but I do know that it is healthier and we love the raw milk, and I love real butter and use buttermilk to make pancakes and we eat yogurt all the time. How do I find information on how to make all this stuff? I feel really ignorant right now
Pixipunk...what state do you get your milk from? We are located in Ohio.
I really appreciate the stuff you have all shared here and I am going to try and do some more research.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #15
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow! What timing! DH and I were just talking about this! There's an organic farm that also sells raw milk about 1 hr. away from us. I think we'll go out for a drive and see what it's all about. It's $10/yr. for a farm share an then $5 or so for a gallon of raw milk. I'd also like to know how to make butter out of it.

We just visited DH's family in CA/AZ and they are into drinking raw milk. DH is very allergic to milk (ezcema) or yogurt or butter, etc. He tried drinking the raw milk, eating the raw butter and raw cheese and didn't break out at all!

We've been trying to go out to this farm for a couple weeks now. This Saturday looks like it will be a good day for us (finally).
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #16
newtocding
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a half gal of milk in my fridge. I left it sit, untouched for 24 hours, skimmed some of that thick precious cream off of the top into a pint jar. Put the lid and ring on, and shook it and shook it. It made butter in like 6 minutes. No kidding!! Then I poured the buttermilk off and shook it a little more to get the rest of the milkiness out. I haven't rinsed it yet....but it is DELICIOUS!!!! I even ate it on saltine crackers! I might buy raw milk forever just to have the butter I can't wait to make more things...and more butter!!!

Wondering, has anyone ever tried goats milk? Or know anything about it?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 AM   #17
acoffman
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MW bought a couple of goats and we had some of the milk that she was getting from them and it doesn't taste that much different at all. I have actually read that goats milk is supposedly better for you because it is the closest to breast milk, what our own bodies produce. If we are ever in an area to have a goat, I might actually consider it. They seem like they would be easier to care for over a cow, and my kids had so much fun going to her house and running around with the goats.
I am going to have to ask around about farms etc. so that we can get on the boat. I am sooo ready.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #18
secretariat88
Registered Users

Butter is easy to make if you have any kind of mixer. I have a kitchaid, I just turn it on and let it beat it. I have to watch when I am making whipped cream, just a few minutes after that is butter!

Do you want $425 for referring people to this site & signing up for a free trial? Click here for a legit and quick site! http://tinyurl.com/bgfbtx
secretariat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #19
katiejack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the butter methods! We're going to have to try both!
katiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #20
lachingona1
Registered Users
seller

I'm jealous...We pay $18 for a gallon here. It is rediculous, I'm trying to find a farm somewhere close to here that will sell it. It is illegal to sell it here in Nevada so the stuff I get has to be called colostrum.