Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
MammaBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Flying with pumped milk

I am leaving my 4 month old for a business trip this Wednesday through Saturday. We have enough pumped milk at home, but I know I will not be able to carry on my pumped milk when I return on Saturday. I've read a lot online as far as packing frozen milk in your checked baggage, or shipping frozen milk via FedEx.

I've called ahead to the hotel, I will have a mini fridge in my room and they will allow me to freeze the milk in their freezers when I want to. I was thinking of freezing all of the milk, and a few gel packs on Friday night so I could pack them all on Saturday morning into my checked baggage. The flight will be about 2 hours (no layovers), but I anticipate the milk will be out of the freezer for about 4-5 hours total.

What are your recommendations?

Advertisement

ISO: wool skirties L girly wool interlock, L Peewells, Loveybums or OS fitteds, Goodmamas, Girly Pedipeds (18-24 month) and possibly other stuff I haven't discovered yet... try me!
MammaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
shadowdweller
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Flying with pumped milk

i thought they had lifted restrictions on breastmilk? maybe i'm wrong, i'll call my mom and ask when she gets off work in a couple hours (she works for an airline).
Old 04-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They have lifted the restrictions on bm. You can take it all on the plane with you and pack it with those gel packs or even dry ice. You just have to declare it at security and allow inspection IIRC. I'm researching it since I may be travelling to Mexico with my pump next month.
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
MammaBee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow, that would be great. Everything that I was finding online still said that you could only bring 3 oz packets on the plane (in a carry-on) and only as many as would fit in the standard quart-sized ziploc. I'll check some more as well.

ISO: wool skirties L girly wool interlock, L Peewells, Loveybums or OS fitteds, Goodmamas, Girly Pedipeds (18-24 month) and possibly other stuff I haven't discovered yet... try me!
MammaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
AlexandZoesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm getting ready to fly next week and I was just reading that they have lifted restrictions on flying with breastmilk.

Here's the TSA website link about this:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...n/formula.shtm
Old 04-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I traveled to MX a year ago before they changed the restrictions and had to put my milk in my checked bags, but it made it back safely.

Now, you can take it all in your carry on and keep it under your own control, which is much better.

I would not freeze the milk. It is hard to guarantee that you will be able to keep it frozen and thawed milk is supposed to be used within 24 hours. I would refrigerate it at the hotel, keep it packed in lots of ice packs on the trip home and freeze it when you get home (unless you will be using it.) The Lansinoh storage bags are very sturdy and I think you can keep the milk colder by putting it in bags and getting ice packs in between and all around it better than you can with bottles.

Best of luck.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
csmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is great news! I have a business trip at the beginning of June and thought I'd have to pump and dump the whole weekend. I'm glad they finally lifted the ban.
csmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #8
05NavyBride
Registered Users

I checked 50oz of frozen BM in a cooler bag with 2 frozen gel packs. I tucked the cooler bag in my suitcase. My flight was 3 hours but I didn't get to my hotel till probably 7 hours later....all my milk was still frozen!!!

Best of luck momma!
05NavyBride is offline   Reply With Quote