Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:16 PM   #21
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Supplementing an EBF baby with Vit. D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubliminalDarkness View Post
Our pediatrician mentioned it once. We chose not to do it. I believe that breastmilk is complete nutrition for a baby. If babies needed a dense concentratrion of Vit. D, it would be in breastmilk.

Additionally, the vitamins recommended are produced by formula companies. Coincidence? I think not. They're trying to make money off of all babies, one way or another. I'm not ok with that.
interesting

I never used it. DS wouldn't take it, and usually puked it up. I gave it to DD for about a month on and off, but that was it. I had different people say different things so I just did what I wanted.

Advertisement

daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 AM   #22
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillymama View Post
Supplementing with vitamin D is more necessary in areas where there isn't much sunlight or for dark skinned babies and especially if there is a combination of the two. I brought this up with my ped around 4 months and she said it wasn't necessary. We didn't even go outside everyday and never appeared to have a problem.
I agree with this. I live in southeast alaska that has cloud coverage probably about 80% of the time. Which means 20 minutes of sun a day is nearly impossible. We give dd trivisol lbecause of this, and because my mother has MS which has affected our presonal life enough to be worrid enough to give dd the vitamins (vit. d deficincey has been linked to MS)
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #23
jesslfar
Registered Users
seller

About half the moms i know who live in the Northwest were told this, but my Dr said the reccomendation is for babies who live more like in Alaska, who don't get enough sun based on where they live or for darker skinned babies. Since my dd is blond and pale she does not need it eventhough we live in Oregon he said, but others who look just like her and live in my town are on the supplement. I decided not to push it and that even if reccomended we weren't going to supplement.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #24
madnlock
Registered Users
seller

I was told this when dd, now 17 months old was a newborn. I had the same pediatrician with my 2nd son but was not told this. I think it is a new recommendation. The ped (a friend) said it was a precaution to avoid rickets but she has never seen a case of rickets where we live (Texas). I bought the drops but dd did not like the taste and I never tried again.
madnlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #25
valpopp
Registered Users

My Mood:

oh ya ped recommends it and then I think at 6 mos recommends the vitamins with floride too. I just do what I want, which is neither one.