Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
loulou belle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Older children and pregancy

I am nine weeks pregnant with dc #2, and I have a four year old child. DH and I have said nothing to dc#1 about dc#2 because of the time factor and the what if...? factor. Sooo...dc#1 says the following things, either to me, dh, or her teacher at school:
"I don't want to put my small bike away, I am going to teach the baby how to ride it."
"I am going to put my cards up here in my doll house, because my baby sister will chew on them."
"We need to go over here and get some baby clothes for the baby."
"My mommy doesn't want me to jump on her belly because she is going to have a baby."

DC #1 has never said any of this before I got pg, and has only referred to this baby as a girl.

What do you think? Is this strange?

I know that she can pick up on stuff, but we have said nothing about it. She was in school for my dr appointment. It will be really strange if it turns out to be a girl!

Advertisement

loulou belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 PM   #2
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Older children and pregancy

Wow... I've never heard of that! I have four little sisters and I don't remeber any of them acting like that when another one was on the way.

This kind of reminds me of the documentary I saw recently about indigo children. Or maybe your DD is just *very* intuitive!
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

My dd is also 4 years old and she did the SAME thing!!! I am 16 1/2 weeks now...but in the begning I had some problems, bleeding and spotting, so we weren't telling the kids until everything was in the clear and she kept saying my babies were hungry. The ones in my tummy. Then she said one is a boy and one is a girl. Then she would kiss my tummy. I asked how she knew and she said MOM...I KNOW!!! lol Okay...just askin!

So far the u/ses have only shown one baby. Now I am thinking if there is only one that maybe all that bleeding was losing one...

Little kids can sometimes sense when mamas are expecting!!

Give her a hug!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:13 PM   #4
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

Is there any chance that she figured it out(by your changing some things)? Or heard you and DH talking?

My guess would be that either one of her friends mom's is having a baby and its "wishful thinking" that just so happens to be true or she heard you and Dh talking about it.

DS is 4 and he was oblivious LOL. It took some explaining when we told him we were going to have a new baby. (about how the baby was in my tummy and it would grow and it would come out to play sometime after his b-day *which was sept 2nd*)
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
loulou belle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think it is wishful thinking. She has said before that she did not want a sibling. While she is four, she has no interest in baby dolls. Actually, she has no interest in real babies. She has a stuffed animal (or twelve) that she carries around with her, not no "baby dolls." But now, she is set that a baby is coming and it is a girl.

Dh and I do not talk about it in front of her. We are both quick spellers, though. However we spell everything so she can't pick up on the conversation.

I don't know. I guess it is most amusing that this is a girl...I don't care about the sex, I just want healthy, but it would be difficult to expalin that it is a boy!
loulou belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:42 PM   #6
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulou belle
I don't think it is wishful thinking. She has said before that she did not want a sibling. While she is four, she has no interest in baby dolls. Actually, she has no interest in real babies. She has a stuffed animal (or twelve) that she carries around with her, not no "baby dolls." But now, she is set that a baby is coming and it is a girl.

Dh and I do not talk about it in front of her. We are both quick spellers, though. However we spell everything so she can't pick up on the conversation.

I don't know. I guess it is most amusing that this is a girl...I don't care about the sex, I just want healthy, but it would be difficult to expalin that it is a boy!

LOL, yeah, maybe you *should* try to find out the gender of this baby just incase it IS a boy... that way your DD won't be totally shocked when the baby is born.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #7
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD didn't say anything about it before we told her, but as soon as we told her she guessed the gender (okay, that was a 50/50) predicted the b-day (5 days before the due date, and we hadn't told her), and picked out the name for a girl (which DH and I had just decided on that day...we'd never thought of it before and she was in school)

None of it really surprised me though...she's always been intuitive. Just this week when I told her that my step mom got a new car she guessed the color and model immediately (a green VW bug...how likely is that?), very surprising since she hasn't seen her in months, the car was a spur of the moment thing, and at the time I didn't even know the color and model, so I certainly didn't drop any hints.

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Kids tend to be intuitive to things. I know my oldest was about 4 when I was pregnant and around 7 weeks she started talking about an angel baby. Well, that's when the docs believe the baby died. But she also knew when a new baby was conceived and was talking about it before we told her and her younger sister.

good luck!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #9
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say that it is certainly something that would make you surprised at but I never doubt the power of a child .. they clue into so many things we, as adults, ignore. (sometimes thats intuition, sometimes they're listening when you don;'t think they are! )

Either way - it seems she is excited about the prospect!
Congrats & happy pregnancy!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:11 AM   #10
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

My kids just seemed to 'know' too. I don't know how they pick up on most things, but they sure do.