Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 9 m.o. hasn't gained weight in awhile

Ralesiah- he looks healthy in your avatar yeah i have thought about my diet, thinking i need to take in more calories or something.

I wanted to add that i just looked at his records and i was wrong, he has gained weight since 6 months- about 26 ounces! That is within normal range according to kellymom.com

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by remrath View Post
How do you feel about it? Does he seem healthy and active and eating enough to you?
I just have to say this is why I totally missed my dd's problem until she was hospitalized. She was hitting all her physical developmental milestones, WAY ahead verbally, and seemed to have plenty of energy. She ate a ton of food so I wasn't worried about her eating. (Now I know that was a symptom of her problem - she has a super high metabolism!)

A few weeks after her release from the hospital, the pediatric gastroenterologist told me, "now you'll see her start talking more and have more energy." I said, "she has lots of energy and she had 200 words at 17 months." She said, "Well, it'll be even more now." She was right. This kid is smart as heck and has a TON of energy (sometimes I miss the old level of energy! but I would never want her to starve like that again of course).
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonR80 View Post
I wanted to add that i just looked at his records and i was wrong, he has gained weight since 6 months- about 26 ounces! That is within normal range according to kellymom.com
Ooooh, that is good news!!! The stats you posted before were kind of scary to me though. How do they compare to the 6 month stats? The 3-4 month stats?

I am not trying to alarm you. I just remember posting something very similar to this (on a different board) after my dd's 18 month visit, and getting all very reassuring responses, and 4 weeks later she got a stomach flu that she didn't have the reserves to deal with and her entire digestive system shut down, resulting in a 7 day hospital stay, invasive tests to rule out really horrible stuff (thank G-d), and finally an NG tube that stayed in for 3 weeks. It was a nightmare and I do not want you to have to go through that or anything close to it, so just keep tracking these stats on your own.

It would never hurt to ask your pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist or pediatric nutritionist. Needing their help would not reflect poorly on you as a mama (I was so into doing it all on my own to prove I was a capable mama, before all this happened). Believe me, there's nothing like a diagnosis of malnutrition to make you feel like CPS should come take your kid away. But our peds gastro'ist told us that it's hard for parents to see these things happen because we are there for every day and they happen gradually and subtly.

That is why I am saying to track those charts. Print them out and go back to calculate once a month and put your dot on your printout where it shows it on the chart. Start with the stats from the 3-4 month well visit and go from there. If it's always been like this, that's probably just how your baby is.

Best wishes to you and feel free to PM me. You may have nothing to worry about and I"m worrying you for nothing, but like I said I don't want you to have to go through anything like what we went through.

Megan
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #14
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

I thought I'd second what goldmama22 said. We are keeping a close eye on Corbin's growth chart, and are on the fence from week to week about seeing a peds GI doctor. If he seems like he isn't hanging on on his own, we will see one. It might not be a bad idea, if nothing else than to ease your mind. Keep in mind Corbin is in the 50-75 percentile for height and weight, but we are still watching because of him losing weight and dropping percentiles. And it seems to me he has more stores than your LO. Everything may be just perfect, but definitely do whatever you have to do to ease your mind, and know that you're on top of it.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

here are his stats from the printout i have, it doesn't have the 9 mo stats (i'm picking them up tomorrow):
birth- 7.05 (15%)
5 days old- 7.34 (19%)
8/16/07- 8.97 (46%)
10/04/07- 12.5 (60%)
10/24/07- 14.04 (70%)
10/30/07- 13.45 (50%)
12/06/07- 14.99 (44%)
2/8/08- 16.07 (18%) but he had on a cloth diaper, so i subtracted 5 oz to get 15 lb 12 oz at 6 months and now he's 17 lbs 6 oz (in a pampers)
Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the period between 10/24 and 12/06 seems to be where you were having the problems. He would have been around 3-5 months, is that right? That's right when our problems started, so I know at that point our pedi would have been concerned, especially at that weight loss between 10/24 and 10/30. We're still wondering if the caloric content of my milk wasn't enough, or if it was a supply issue, absorbtion issue, or what. And then am I correct that he gained almost 2 pounds in 2 months? That could be more, but could be worse too. I think stay on top of it, as we are, but you may be just coming out of the problem... That's just my opinion, based on what we're going through right now too.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
alisha_roseleip
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree that you should keep a close eye on it but I just wanted to make you feel a little better... DD is under 17# at 11.5 months and the ped and the nutritionist say she is doing great!
It is not out of meanness or rudeness but it is not yours unless you ask for paypal address or you ask me to hold it for you because we are working on a deal. Asking for more pics does not mean we are in the middle of a deal
alisha_roseleip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #18
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Keep in mind that most of the charts peds use are for formula fed babies...heck, my charts are sponsored by Enfamil. Bf'd babies are usually bigger in the beginning, and then they slim down.

My ds has always been off the charts as far as weight(he was 18.5 lbs at 3 months...LOL, and was 7.10 at birth), but he started thinning out around 7 months...around the same time he started eating solids and becoming more active. It makes sense that if he's more mobile and eating foods that are less calorie rich that he'll lose weight.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you want him to gain a little, I'd say cut out the solids for now, and nurse more

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #19
AlisonR80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all the advice
Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #20
reneeumiami
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsis View Post
Keep in mind that most of the charts peds use are for formula fed babies...heck, my charts are sponsored by Enfamil. Bf'd babies are usually bigger in the beginning, and then they slim down.

My ds has always been off the charts as far as weight(he was 18.5 lbs at 3 months...LOL, and was 7.10 at birth), but he started thinning out around 7 months...around the same time he started eating solids and becoming more active. It makes sense that if he's more mobile and eating foods that are less calorie rich that he'll lose weight.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you want him to gain a little, I'd say cut out the solids for now, and nurse more

I just got back from my ds 6 mo. check up and the Dr. warned me that ds would probably start to drop on the weight chart, but that this is a good thing...as long as he continues to put on weight (any weight) he's fine. DS went from 81% at 4mo to 71% at 6mo.
The weight chart is skewed because 6 months is the point at which some formula babies begin to become obese! At about 6 months babies are becoming mobile and start to burn more calories. (Imagine your weight change if you went from exclusively lying down for 6 months to moving around.) Simultaneously, a mother's milk production starts to wane as soon as solids are introduced. Formula babies often continue to be fed the same number of ounces each day (in addition to solid food), where bf babies naturally drink less bmilk. Our Dr. said she wished they'd redo the chart based on bmilk babies, so formula companies would be held accountable for how many babies they're causing to be obese.
If you or your Dr. have other reason to be concerned, obviously take the Dr.'s advise seriously, but if you're just looking at smaller weight gain, I'd chalk it up to your baby's new workout routine!