Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #1
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:
Just bought a huge piece of plastic, feeling bad

Background: I am totally AP, wear dd as much as possible, am anti-plastic toys and bottles. I cried (postpartum hormoes) and made dh take back the swing he bought for dd because it went against my parenting philosophy.

Over the last couple weeks dd, who is 8 months and can sit on her own if I sit her but doesn't crawl or stand, has been flopping backward instead of sitting because she is trying to stand and doesn't quite know how. Dh wanted to get her a walker, but after reading safety issues about them we compromised and today we got her an exersaucer instead. I am so torn as to how I feel about it. I do want to keep her entertained and happy, as she seems like she is bored just sitting and playing with the toys she already has and gets bored also when I wear her around the house doing chores, but I am really not okay that the entire freaking thing is made of plastic, and also not okay with how I'm envisioning dh will use it when I'm not around (I only am away from dd for a couple hours every other day to go to the gym, and dh isn't very AP....his idea of watching dd is to plop her down with her toys while he watches tv. ) Heck, I don't even know if dd will like the thing. I'm just really conflicted, since it's not very natural parenting/AP and I kind of feel sad every time I look at it. If you read this whole thing, bless you. I guess I just want some reassurance it's not bad for her (or if it is, tell me so I can return it immediately). I think I would probably be more okay with it if it were made of wood and cloth but I couldn't find anything like it on any sites like oompa.com or other natural toy sites.

Advertisement

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
joanna19
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just bought a huge piece of plastic, feeling bad

I just wanted to write and say that I know how you feel and that I think we are going through a similar situation. I wanted to get this Tonka/Playskool truck toy for my dd for her 1st birthday coming up because I know she would really enjoy riding on it and using as a walker of sorts as it has that ability when you put the seat up. Basically it's a toy she can get a lot of use out of because of the stages. Anyways, dh was not impressed with me wanting to buy this plastic thing made in China. We had an incident with a well known toy maker toy back when she was 3 months old and it scared the heck out of us, and I think we are still feeling that. Like you, I cannot find anything similar out there that is like this truck. In addition, I am opening a store soon that is very focused on being eco-friendly, non-toxic, and safe, and what am I saying to people if I had this toy? I'd feel very hypocritical that's for sure.

So I guess I don't have any advice for you mama and I can't tell you to take it back or not but I just wanted to let you know that I understand and I am right there with you on the subject.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I can seriously feel the love you have for your LO from your post. I personally loved the exersaucer and so did my DD. She was a preemie and it took her a bit longer to learn to sit up on her own. The exersaucer kept her little body upright and she loved it, plus she could jump and spin around. I don't see any harm in having one. It's just another toy, kwim? If you really want to avoid using one, maybe all she needs is something sturdy to use to pull herself to standing? GL with whatever you decide

ETA~Maybe something like this...

Last edited by mommy2alisa; 04-30-2008 at 06:30 AM.
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #4
tlaquepaque
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I understand what your concerns are but what matters is how you use it not what it is made out of. If she enjoys it and it is fun for her then use it for those times that you need it. If DH uses it a little bit more then that's okay because he needs to develop his own relationship even if it is different than what you would do. You can donate it when you are done with it and recycle it that way.

I was given an exersaucer with my first and I kept it in the bathroom for when I needed a minute to myself or took a shower. Kept them entertained and safe and gave me a minute. DD can now climb out of it and showers are less enjoyable for me.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #5
yoopers
Registered Users

I was offered a handme down exersaucer, which I took even though I didn't think we would use it because I share some of your beliefs. We used it occasionally with first child outside so that we could get 10 -15 minutes of gardening done. Now with a second child and a 2 year old, things have become more complicated. We have the exersaucer in the middle of the kitchen and the baby is in it about 15 minutes a day. I can't let her play in the other room without me because of "helpful big brother" and I have to prepare toddlers snacks, meals and clean up after him. Before she was old enough for the exersaucer, I used a bouncy chair. She is too big for that now, so we had to get the saucer out. Our baby loves the stupid thing.

I sort of rationalize part of my fears with the fact that the family that gave us the bouncy chair and exersaucer had three kids who occasionally used these baby devices. All of the kids are elem age now, and are delightful children.

Oh and don't feel too bad about the plastic, I just bought a HUGE plastic toy kitchen. I have really mixed feelings about that. I just couldn't justify the cost of wood ones.
yoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2alisa View Post
Mama, I can seriously feel the love you have for your LO from your post. I personally loved the exersaucer and so did my DD. She was a preemie and it took her a bit longer to learn to sit up on her own. The exersaucer kept her little body upright and she loved it, plus she could jump and spin around. I don't see any harm in having one. It's just another toy, kwim? If you really want to avoid using one, maybe all she needs is something sturdy to use to pull herself to standing? GL with whatever you decide

That is so cute! It looks like a little ballet bar, is that what it is?
And thanks to the mamas that replied to my post. I do a lot of babywearing when we're out, never use the stroller except for jogging, and do as much babywearing as I can when we're home too. But I am a WAHM (non-diaper related) and need to be on the computer for a portion of the day and when I have dd near me she's too distracted by the keyboard to nurse and all she wants to do is "help" mommy type.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We never used those either.

Do you feel she needs it? I mean unless she is acting bored and unhappy I dont see why (unless of course to take a shower, work, etc) Do you think she will be unhappy in it not getting to move around and *try* crawling/standing?

I dont really have experience with those

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2alisa View Post
Where is that from? I need to get one for DD! lol
Old 04-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #8
BC Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Gosh, don't sweat it! I totally know how you feel. We are a full time baby wearing family and avoid plastic and mic too. My mom bought my 5.5 month old dd an exersaucer (or plastic nightmare as dh calls it) last month and I have to admit its come in handy. She likes the toys and I use it a couple times a day for about 10 mins each time. I can make lunch or clean the kitchen while she plays. Yes I dislike the plastic and it is uglier than sin, but I'm sure my next babe will use it or I'll give it away. Don't feel bad, those products are only bad when people over use them. I bet some babies sit in there exersaucers all day long .

Last edited by BC Mom; 04-30-2008 at 05:14 PM.
BC Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
bama
Registered Users
seller

My babes loved them. My youngest has a Fisher Price jumperoo that he is bouncing in as I type.
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
medaroge
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaquepaque View Post
what matters is how you use it not what it is made out of. If she enjoys it and it is fun for her then use it for those times that you.
It is hard to think of, but lots of parents really would just sit the kid in the exersaucer/swing/bouncy/etc. and just leave them there for wayyyy too long. As another poster said, it is obvious by the post how much you care for your little one, as evidenced by your reaction to the exersaucer. And it is obvious that you are not the type to leave her in it just for the sake of it. She will think it is fun and have a great time playing in it.
medaroge is offline   Reply With Quote