Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My friends reaction

I was on the phone with one of my friends yesterday. She has a dd who is 9 months old. She made a comment about needing to change dd because she had pooped everywhere and what a mess it was. I hadn't told her about us ecing, so I thought I would just mention it. I told her I was glad I didn't have to mess with that because dd will only poop on the potty. Her response was that she couldn't do that because it causes you to miss out on such a big developmental milestone. She was talking about potty training. I decided not to get in a discussion/argument with her because I know that I won't change her mind. I guess it just bugs me that she thinks what I am doing is detrimental to dd. Like it should be a required part of childhood to be taught to poop/pee on yourself, and then be retrained to use a potty. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of poopy diapers we have had since we started when dd was 2 weeks old. And you should hear her laugh when she stays dry and pees on the potty-she is only 3 months old, yet she knows what she is doing.
Okay, rant over. I just needed to get that off of my chest to people who understand where I am coming from.

Advertisement

Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: My friends reaction

wow yeah....My friends and family have all been shocked but they think it's cool. hehe No one knew you could potty train so young but yeah.....Sorry your friend thinks that. How silly.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not only do I have this problem with friends, but family mostly. My sister insists that this is JUST NOT NORMAL, and that i'm the one that's being trained. Why doesn't she just sit in her own pee and poo everyday...... it's not too comfortable, i'd imagine!! Maybe they're just jealous that we (ECers) actually kinda have a thing going for us... and we are listening to our babies!! I don't think of it as her training me, but rather me listening to her!
Old 04-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
goldmama22
Registered Users
seller

A lot of the moms around me who have had a tough time potty training their kids ask me to teach them how to EC their next ones! Let's see how much she likes the "developmental milestone" when it comes!
goldmama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

WOW! I as totally facinated by this. I hadnt heard of ECing until recently but, I am totally in aww!
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
rwooley
Banned
seller

My Mood:

WOW! I as totally facinated by this. I hadnt heard of ECing until recently but, I am totally in aww!
rwooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
VelouriaMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never thought of potty training as a developmental milestone. I mean, it's a milestone but I don't think it has much to do with development. Whatever makes you sis happy, I guess.

I hate that bad vibes that ECers get - that we are pushing their kids to PL too early or that the babies train us. Anyone who actually tries EC knows that you can't push a baby to do it. As for the notion of babies training moms, I heard a great argument "yes she trains me to take her to the potty just like she trained me to feed her when she's hungry." Hunger and elimination are both basic human needs and it seems strange that most people pay so much attention to one but ignore the other. OK rant over!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree with the last poster...lol I can't imagine how anyone could think it's unnatural...and I don't see how that's got anything to do with their development either....They're certainly not going to be hurt mentally by not sitting in their own pee and poop for 3 or more years like most kids do....
Old 05-01-2008, 06:13 AM   #9
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thankfully my family is pretty supportive. They think it is cool that dd goes on the potty. I know that part of my friend's comments are because of what an easy time she had with her son. He potty trained himself at 20 months. He had actually been asking her to take him potty when he had to go for several months and she would tell him no to go in his diaper. I keep thinking she may be in for a rude awakening with her dd. Whatever makes her happy. The few of my other friends who know about it find it interesting. One has a sil and bil who live in China, so it wasn't a new concept for them, they just didn't know you could start from birth. Her sil is coming back for the summer, so I am looking forward to talking to her about how they do it in China.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

hey that's cool. I wish I knew other people who do this...well there is one woman in my ap playgroup that does it but I don't see her very often and her DD is months younger than mine...